I just had cervical fusion of C4- C5, C5 -C6 C6-C7.   It has been 3 weeks today since surgery, and for the most part I feel so much better.  I have no more right arm pain, and my neck only hurts sometimes but I think this is due to the brace that I have to wear all the time.  I had my own bone put in and I have a plate and screws.  My next appointment is not until Feb 1, 2013, and I am hoping that at this time I am somewhat fused.  I use the stimulator 4 hours a day and this is supposed to help.  I am just really scared that it wont fuse at all.  Does anyone else have any insight on what I am going through?  Any info would help alot.

Thank

Tiffany W

I read your post and unfortunately cannot offer any words of advice, etc. but would love to hear more about your recovery.  I am contemplating a three to four level cervical fusion (ACDF) and am very scared.  It sounds like you can relate to the fears.  It seems like all I hear about on blogs is severe postoperative pain but I feel like I am running out of options and might need to move forward with the surgery.  I have had ongoing, severe, chronic neck pain for about 25 years and have been most recently diagnosed with stenosis, spondylosis, and spondylolisthesis.  I am hoping that you might be able to share your experiences during recovery.  I can only imagine that this is a very difficult time for you.  Let me know if you would be willing to share more.  Thanks  Stacey     

Howdy Tiffany. I had disectomy and fusion November 7th 2012, after suffering from similar symptoms to yourself. I think it was the best thing that ive had done. Apparently the nurses said i woke after operation with a smile on my dial. I hadnt felt so good in the 6 months prior to surgery. Ive been in constant communication with neurosurgeon, who gave me the all clear to start light hydrotherapy, which i been doing for 3 weeks, so far so good. I only had C6 and C7 fused after disectomy, so your rehab will probably take a wee longer than mine. Keep a positive outlook on your future and keep talking to your local Doctor and Surgeon if possible. Chin up and all the best Wayne..

Stacey, so far well today is 1 month since my surgery. All is pretty good. The only thing that bothers me is keeping this brace on all day/night, and showering with one. I have not had really any pain. My sleep pattern though is way off. I have to sleep in the recliner but thats ok I guess no pain. I don't go back to my surgeon till Feb 1st, and I hope my neck started to fuse. I know you here all the horror stories out there, so did I, but I have to say it was worth it. I went 4 month in constant pain in my shoulder before I went to see someone. I think that was my mistake. Well let me know if I can give you any other insight be happy to.