Hi everyone :-D ,

I'm a soon to be 42 yo woman, with both C6/C7 herniations, bony spur, nerve compression, and narrowing of spinal canal due to the above. I just the NS today and we may go ahead with a fusion/cage in a few weeks if I continue to have no improvement. I'm anxioius to get back to WORK!!! love my job and need it for my sanity lol! I work in a children hospital, no lifting, mostly talking with people, taking notes, reading reports, and a bit of computer work.

Just a couple of questions:
Q1: Is it realistic that I'll be back to work in 3 to 4 weeks like my NS says? o.O

Q2: How much assistance did you need, and for how long when you came home from hospital? The reason I ask this is that while my 17 year old daughter lives with me (and no one else), she is very busy and I don't think I should count on her being able to be with me 24/7, unless she misses school... and that's not really a solution... I live in Ireland, and my 72 year old mother is wondering if I'll need her, and whether or not she should come over. I don't know what to say to her... Her health has had its ups and downs, so I don't want to ask her to come over unless its absolutely necessary. I have good friends who can pop in and all that... but they've been popping in about 3 times per week at the moment... and I don't want to put more pressure on them, they've been sooooo good to me, anything i need doing, it's done; but you know what its like... hard to keep on asking people for help. So, any advice on how much help you needed straight after, for how long, etc... be really appreciated!! XD

I was dismissed from surgery center 2 hrs after surgery, made a one hour trip home and was able to take care of myself the following day.
Of course I didn't tear the world apart. Pretty much just kept to my lazyboy recliner.
When you return to work will depend on your recovery. It really bothered me to stand, sit, lift and do computer work. You'll just have to wait and see how you feel.
Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

I was dismissed from the hospital 30 hours after my 2 level. At home I think I was up and walking after 2 days. During that time I was helped showering and dressing. Noone can really do much to help you. You have to figure out the least painfull methods of moving for yourself. You will be getting itchy to get up and get something done as each day passes... Just BE CAREFULL!

Every DR, has different ways to get you back on your way. Follow his instructions and you will be fine.

Good Luck,
Rob

I had my 2 lvl dicectomy with fusion, cage and plating on July 12. I am up and around, but have lost more neck motion that they anticipated. It is nearly 8 weeks from surgery and I am still not allowed to pick up my 22 pound baby and have not yet returned to work. I am in physical therapy, but that is alos bringing on some of the issues I had prior to surgery. Every case is different. I still experience pain in between my shoulders, have difficulty driving cause I cant turn my head enough to see behind me without pain. I would STILL do the surgery again, because without it i would have stood the chance of being permanently crippled.

Anyone have any good exercises to do to assist in recovery?

Slow down there. LOL Why not talk to someone near you who has had this kind of neck surgery. I had it 2 1/2 years and I mostly don't remember the first couple of days as I had a bone graft from my own pelvis and the pain from that is DILAUDID pain...I was seeing things on the ceiling and on my bed. Honestly for the first week you may need care round the clock. You'll need washed and feed and clean nighties and undies too. You'll need someone to go and get food and prepare it and wash those few dishes...you will need someone to just plane keep you under watch...it takes at least a week to get oriented...I assume you will have a brace...an odd sort of thing..thought not as bad as I expected and I had mine on for almost 6 months....I showered once per week and was allowed to remove it and then put it right back on. I needed help with that also...Would you be able to go to work and or drive to work? with the brace on? I'm just saying that it is a long haul and just having friends dropping in on you or having your mom come over to Ireland when she might need help sounds iffy. I suggest you come up with another plan. You might talk with what we call a social worker about a live in person or a couple weeks in a care center. Good luck and God bless, Susanne I too am a nurse

diamonde wrote:

Hi everyone :-D ,

Just a couple of questions:

For me I had c6 c7 dicetomy and fusion they also went through my hip to get bone marrow to fuse everything with.. I ended up staying two nights in the hospital, was wobbly on feet and went home with walker my walker ended up being my best friend for a good month.. I could not wash or brush my own hair as it hurt. I had lots of help and was on lots of meds for awhile. My surgery was October 2011 and I was still having some issues with swolowing and speach by May 2012 when I went to specialist.. July I was still in therapy and was not back to 100%. Jully 2012 I was REARENDED again.. and even though my fusion is in place I now have C4 C5 protruding into my spinal chord and I have to go in for surgery Oct 30 2012 for a doouble fusion and discetomy... UGH .. Yes.. Plan on having LOTS of help for at least the first two months and remember ever bit stronger you get ..you get tired and have pain.. cause you are progressing..

You guys are scaring me. I need to have a double fusion as well c6 c7.. c4 c5 are not as bad but are protruding. I'm in denial on this sugary but nothing is working... Any suggestions