I’ve been diagnosed with hypothyroidism ever since my first pregnancy and I’ve been on Synthroid for the last two years. Since it took almost half a year for my endocrinologist to find a right dosage that works best for me, I’ve gained way too much weight that I haven’t been able to get rid of even now. As my primary physician recommended, I’m taking the calcium and vitamin D, too but just recently I’ve read a very interesting article that suggests that coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone) might help minimize effects of hypothyroidism on the heart – which I’m actually worried about, considering how much weight I’ve gained. But that’s just one article and I don’t have my endo appointment until February, so I was wandering if anyone here with thyroid disorder has tried Q10 supplement?

Thanks

Hello, Guest.  CoQ10 is an element that your body naturally produces that protects your heart.  As a person gets older, the level of CoQ10 decreases, therefore, causes your heart to deplete and lowering your thyroid hormone levels. CoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant that can protect your heart from oxidative damage.  It is a great supplement to include in your daily regime of health maintainance.  This element could positively supplement your thyroid needs as well.  I would not recommend suspending your thyroid treatment that your doctor has prescribed you, however, I do not see anything wrong with taking CoQ10 and seeing how it works for you. 

Has anyone tried CoQ10 for their hypothyroidism?