No one can figure out what is going on, but is is taking a huge toll on not only me, but my family. I am only 23 years old. I was diagnosed 10 years ago with hypothroidism. In my last pregnancy (2006) the doctor said it was no longer a problem. I have no idea how it just went away. Well, I feel worse than ever now, with more symptoms than ever and have no idea what to do. I just know there has to be an answer and treatment out there somewhere. Here are my sypmtoms....

1. Extreme fatigue (i could and do sometimes sleep for days at a time, which is one reason my marriage is suffering. I can be up for just a couple of hours and feel exhausted.)(by the way, it isn't my baby either, she sleeps all night and has for awhile now.)

2. Depression, anger, very very easily agitated, health questiony all the time

3. Severe headaches, very sharp pains in head

4. Abnormal weight gain, can't lose no matter what I do. I hardly eat, I exercise normally, but still gain. Not typically a big person either. Have always been on the slim side.

5. Excessive sweating

6. No sex drive whatsoever

7. Trouble falling asleep even though totally exhausted

8. Forgetful (i have always had a superb memory until lately)

9. Dry skin, hair

10. Muscle/joint pain

these symptoms are all very severe to me and real. If anyone could offer any suggestions as to what may be going on, I would be forever grateful. I don't what my family to have to suffer because of this anymore.

Thanks,
ashley

I had some of the same symptoms...I have diabetes. The Dr. kept telling me I had chronic fatigue and Epstein Barr Virus, and for three years I had undiagnosed diabetes. Have you had an A1C blood test? This would check your blood sugars for the past three months. You might also ask your Dr. to take an anti-nuclear antibody blood test (checks lupus, autoimmune disorders, and others). What about tick bites? Is there a possibility of lymes disease? Hope this helps...

Are you sure you aren't talking about ME??? I'm desperate for answers and I've had my thyroid checked which is normal, and has remained normal compared to previous tests. Unlike you, I had a hysterectomy (full) about a year and a half ago but the weight gain in just the last several months is going crazy!!! I too have been very careful about what I eat (fruits/vegs/low fat/low sodium/high fiber) and trying to exercise despite the joint pain, depression, and major fatigue. I was very sick all last week and hardly took a bite of food and STILL GAINED WEIGHT! I'm 40 -- have always maintained my weight at around 120-125lbs. at 5'6" but am now already at 147 lbs. with a huge tire around my tummy! At times I can actually feel my stomach expanding. I know I'm NOT drinking enough water/fluids but when I do, that even seems to bloat me. I don't sleep well at all either. I had the excessive sweating before hysterectomy, absolutely NO sex drive and very bad/migraine headaches but those seemed to go away after the hysterectomy. (Headaches are much less often!) I do take Premarin -- hormone replacement. Deep down I just know "it" has to do with my body not producing enough of something -- WHAT, is the question!! I heard that if I'm not getting the "right kind of sleep" that I can gain weight??? I heard that by not eating enough I could be starving myself -- so why not lose weight?? -- but that the eating less could be telling my body to bulk up on what I do take in and storing it as fat. My metabolism has to be wacko despite the normal blood tests for the thyroid and all the other notable blood tests.

Have you had any feedback? Please let me know!

:?

If you ladies figure it out, let me in on it too, will ya? I have the exact same thing going on too! I'm 40, 1 child, peri-menapause, unexplained weight gain but not eating, etc. etc.

Premarin is the likely cause of the sudden weight gain.

Are you sure that u don't have cushing's disease or PCOS (polycystic Ovary Syndrome)?

You have described my symptoms exactly. I have gained over 60 lbs in one year! I went to the doctor 10 days ago and asked for help. They wanted to refer me to a nutritionist. I went back 10 days later and they realized I wasn't lying/exaggerating about the sudden weight gain. In 10 days I had gained over 8 lbs! I think it was closer to 11.

They are sending me to an internal medicine doc but I don't know if it will help. I weigh over 200 lbs now! I am not depressed, but I sleep between 10-12 hours a night and still feel exhausted all the time. If i sit still for too long, I will fall asleep. I have mood swings and react terribly to minor situations. I can't exercise because even the slightest activity exhausts me.

If anyone gets answers, please respond here. I feel helpless. No one will listen to me, they think I'm just a lazy person who has gained weight and wants it to come off magically. I know something is terribly wrong inside!

Has anyone found a answer yet? I have some of the same problems & have been throw around from one Doctor to another. The have done blood work, ultrasounds, endoscopic, hidascan & EKG. They say everything is fine. This new Dr. I am going to sounded excited cause he said this was a challenge & he would find out what is wrong with me. He has now ran more blood work & said if that turns out fine he will then do a ct scan of my adominal. I am like you all getting very frustrated. This all started back in Dec when I caught a cold virus. Let me know if you find any answers. Thanks

Your symptoms are classic for hypothyroidism. There is more than one test for hypothyroidism - T3, T4, and TSH levels need to be checked. I have hypothyroidism and my doctor checked it a few times. However, it wasn't until my sister (who also has it) told me to have the doctor check all my levels, not just the most common, that I was finally diagnosed. Your doctor may have only checked one, giving the appearance of a normally functioning thyroid.

Also, you may want to see an endocrinologist. They specialize in autoimmune disorders, such as hypothyroidism and diabetes.

Doctors can be great, but they can also miss the obvious. Ask your doctor what tests they performed, ask questions, do research, and become an active participant in reaching your diagnosis.

I'm a 46-year-old premenopausal woman with the symptoms of extreme fatigue, weight gain, constipation, and hair loss. I am taking thyroid medication because of an underactive thyroid, and now my endocrinologist says that my symptoms have nothing to do with my thyroid because my labs are completely normal.

I have cut back on my food intake, even though I have always eaten healthily and was never an overeater. I have been hiking (hills, etc.) for an hour a day for three years, and STILL I continue to gain weight. The hiking is becoming more difficult because of the fatigue. My normal adult weight is around 130 pounds on a 5'7" frame. Several years ago when my thyroid was intially overactive (I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which can initially cause the thyroid to become overactive, then later to become underactive), my weight dropped under 115 pounds. While many people would have been overjoyed, I knew there was something very wrong and that this was not healthy. I went to a few different doctors, who all assured me that I was perfectly healthy. I was not diagnosed with Hashimoto's until years later, even though the thyroid antibodies showed up in my very first labs.

This is so frustrating because I have been told that 150 pounds is in the normal weight range for someone my height and age, even though I have reiterated to these doctors that this weight is not normal FOR ME, not to mention that even after one or two naps I can still barely manage to remain awake during the day.

I don't want to have to wait until I'm obese before someone finally decides to help me address this problem. I'm willing to do whatever I have to do, but first I need someone to identify the cause of my problem!

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thanks.

depression, weight gain, lack of ability to sleep, extreme fatigue, sleeping 10 12 hours, are also symptoms of sleep apnea, and narcolepsy. the latter of the two isn't usually diagnosed until 30 yrs age when the symptoms become more severe.

My spouse gained weight...while eating very little, became depressed, battled fatigue, and irritability, occassional collapse, and in general not feeling well. Body pains, were a side effect of lack of proper sleep...all stages in order.
You may sleep alot but if you have sleep disorder your ability heal and rest are impaired.
After sever sleep studies...it was discovered...narcolepsy and mild sleep apnea.
Once on medication, weight, mood, health, energy returned to normal.

Just a thought..it took long time to weed out other illnesses

My suggestion.

Read the book adrenal fatigue by James Wilson. He has a website called adrenalfatigue.org

Find a good reputable homeopathic dr that believes in adrenal fatigue.

I know a lady that used to run marathons and could get out of bed a year later, 30 lbs heavier. They told her she had ms/ chronic fatigue/fiber myalgia and the list goes on. She went to a homeopath and they had her 30lbs lighter and running 10k a month later. Very interesting stuff.

I was reading stuff in my rheumatologists exam room today (had a 45 minute wait so I actually looked in all the drawers too ), and there was information about how difficult it is to maintain normal weight even after your thyroid problem has been treated. The author said that no one yet knows why this is so and then went on to talk about how important it was to get exercise and cut back on caloric intake.

I suppose that was completely unhelpful to you unless it suggests why you're having a problem., i.e., does nothing to solve it.

I have all of the same symptoms you describe (sudden weight gain, horrible fatigue, brain fog, extreme joint pain)
and I have had all sorts of tests, seen 12 doctors; checked for Lyme's, thyroid, liver functions, kidney functions, heart, DEXA scans, MRIs, XRAYS, diabetes, sed rate - you name it! They finally told me I needed anti-depressants. Well, I actually believed one dr and tried them and it sky rocketed my blood pressure plus there was no relief of all the symptoms you mention. I stopped everything and went to an MD who also practices homeopathic in cases where it will get results. He ran a food allergy test IgG and I have 28 food sensitivities. I was on the newest diet where you get rid of all your foods and start over with yogurt, cottage cheese, wheat EVERYTHING, whole grain EVERYTHING, fruits & veggies. I was eating 25 of those 28 foods almost daily. It causes me to get so tired, my joints (I honestly thought my fingers and knee were broken at one point) and extreme weight gain. I also take a breakfast shake daily called UltraMeal Plus 360 (chaulk full of vitamins) for metabolic and adrenal support. He had me add 3000 iu of vitamin D daily, and 1000 mg Calcium, digestzymes after each meal (until I heal my digestive track from the inflammation caused by these foods). I have never felt better. I have gone from doctors thinking I am making it up / crazy to actually knowing what I need to do. Today I hurt and am tired, but I also ate several bad items in the last few days and this can take a week to get back out of my system... but it was cake and I decided the sacrifice was worth it! :-D Here are some examples of what I have learned:
eggs or citrus of any kind (mind you egg is in everything!!) - inflammation causes knee pain - if I eat too much of it my finger joints are also inflamed.
beer or any brewers yeast (this is a tough one!) - brain fog extreme which I lovingly call "food hangover" - I can't focus on the task at hand, general brain fog, ADD like symptoms and if I really have a night out I also get the inflammation mentioned above.
bread or yeast / wheat of any kind - inflammation mentioned above, fatigue

I could go on and on .. but the short story here is that discovering it was simply food sensitivities which cause inflammation was SO helpful.

I think you should get checked for sleep apnea, the same things were happening to me and I went to a sleep lab and I have sleep apnea, if you don't go into the deep REM sleep apparently your body doesn't release a hormone which regulates your weight and metabolism. Check it out