At 44, I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis but my TSH level is fine (1.5 or so). I discovered this after going to an endo due to a 20 lb wieght gain in 6 mths, followed by another 10 lbs the next 6 mths. My endo put me on a low dose of natural thryoid replacement (15 mg) anyway. I have noticed no difference in my weight troubles or fatigue. This is with dieting (approx. 1000 per day) and exercise (running and aerobics 45-1hr/5 times per week) the entire time (before, during and after the wieght gain period). Could just Hashimoto's without full-blown hypothryoidism really be causing my weight problems? Any suggestions for other things I should try? I am extremely disciplined and have diligently followed many diets w/no weight loss. thanks for any help.

I would suggest thyroidhost.proboards.com for your questions. They helped me out with a lot of things. They I think, are all with thyroid problems and welcome new ones trying to find out anything. Good Luck and I'm sorry for not really giving you an answer.

I was also diagnosed with hoshimoto.I had weight gain and could not lose any weight, my thyroid levels were fine. saw a specialist and was diagnosed with idiopathic edema. its were you retain fluid in the lower part of your body starting with your stomach and the longer you stand the more fluid retained.water pills make it worse. keep track of how many times you urinate during the day and how much you drink. there is no cure for edema. I dont know where you live but I found a doctor that did a study and found that amphentimines work, I lost weight taking adderall. Now nj won't allow him to write scripts for adderall for edema while taking adderall i lost 20 lbs.

i also have idiopathic edema. i can't have any more than 5mg sodium daily or else i blow up. i take mega-t green tea diet pills and 25mg megapro vasopro ephedrine daily..it has been proven to help edema. it's similar in effect to adderol i guess but no prescriptions. u can order it online. just be aware that it has kind of a speedy effect . hope that helps.

you might also try accupuncture, tanning beds and massage therapy for swelling. anything to increase circulation and make u sweat out the fluids if you aren't peeing them out. if u go into a sauna and sweat, and u lose a lot of weight, u know then ur problem is all edema.

Hi

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease since i was 17 (11 years). It became apparent when i started menstruating. My weight gain is extreme and i manage to lose about a stone then it stops completely. I have a lot of the symptoms associated with HD. reading your posts have made a lot of sense to me and i am definitely gonna pay a visit to my doc!! Thanks guys x

did they tell you not to exercise for this edema problem? I live in NJ and saw an endo and got the same medicine- Adderall. is there anything else to do to help with the edema? i cant even eat veggies or i gain 4 lbs on teh scale. i have been on it for 2 weeks but havent lose weight. he told me not to exercise and to lay down but i still run for 60 mins a day. i want to lose 15 lbs and i am miserable! any help/advice would be great. does the sauna work?

I've been on Synthroid for 6 months, I also have Hashimotos.
I play softball 6 days a week, and my eating habits haven't changed,
and I've gained 40 pounds. Every time I go to the doctor, all they tell me
I need not eat as much.
If I tell my doctor about the Adderall would work, he'd probably think that I was just
saying that so I could sell them. Since, I'm 17.
I just want to lose 40 pounds soon. This is ridiculous. :$

hi people i being doing a bit investigation into thyroid and due lack idoine in out system this triggers this but why is it triggered. i would like to ask every here with the problem do they take in fluoride on daily basis , contain in tap water,sodas,alcholol, some cerels and the one that we use on a daily basis toothpaste which contains sodium fluoride as know sodium cause the stomach to inflam or bloat and contain water retention. People might wonder why if there on thyroid medication and they still not losing weigtht , i have a feeling that the fluroide is the residence to this as we still incorporating in our lifes every day etc tap water. places affected are USA (70% is in the tap water), austrailia, uk, ireland etc. Maybe it not what eating but what ure drinking cause we have ask ourselves if you took this component out of the daily lives of people then imagines the companies that would be affects. i will be trying to cut this out and ask people to do so too and see how they get on

Hi iam sorry to hear of your problem I am curantly fighting with the same problem. I have recently had a nurse I work ith tell me to try drinking grape fruit juice before evey meal or snack eat

I am almost 43yrs old and was just diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  I suffered a severe traumatic brain injury August 23, 1997.  Knowing my body like I do, I have been consistently gaining weight for almost one year with regular exercise and healthy diet.  Everyone kept telling me to stop eating so much....that was so irritating.  I kept saying something else was going on, but no one believed me.  My neuropsychiatrist has told me that I am not allowed to have adderall or any stimulants....my weight gain is making me even more depressed.  Anyone have any ideas?  Obviously I am a female, but can't Hashimotos imitate menopause?

Try the Paleo diet.

i also have Hashi's and celiac and anemia.....i have had my thyroid controlled before on armour only to have it go hyper, when my dose was adjusted for the hyper i gained 25lbs in 30 days (eating paleo and reducing cals even to less than 700/day) there was NO way this had anything to do with diet! my TSH is normal now (.3) but have not lost any weight. my energy is better since i switched to Tirosint (synthroid without gluten) and my eyebrows are growing back but it is impossible to lose a pound! i have tried everything! more carbs, less carbs, no carbs, more protein, less protein, etc.....i have also done extreme exercise rountines (p90x- gained 5lbs muscle lost no fat, clothes tighter) i have always been a runner but even an hour a day 6 days a week was making me GAIN weight!

not sure what i will do from here......thinking about not exercising and drastically reducing calories??? good luck!

I have hashimoto's as well. I luckily was able to lose some weight but I have been stuck for a while and can't seem to lose any more. It appears to me that you actually may not be eating enough. Women aren't supposed to eat less than 1200 calories a day because then it slows your metabolism to a halt. I know it may seem like the absolute wrong thing to do but it may help.

I am a 44 yar old female, I was diagnosed with Hoshimotos last week. I am on synthroid 112 mg  and cytomel .5 mg 2x a day. I am a fitness instructor and ecersise is a huge part of my life. I have never had any problems maintaining my weight , I do work out alot but I do not follow a strict diet. AFter reading alot ofpsts here I am scared to death of weight gain. I have about 4 extra lbs on me but its been the same for 3 months prior to my diagnosis. Can anyone shed light on why this medication makes you gain weight , I thought the reason for it was to balance the Thyroid to steady everything .8-|

Please don' t try to offer cliche answers like this. I was diagnosed at age 8 and the only way I have ever been able to lose weight in the 20 years I have been fighting my weight (since age 8) is by stopping exercise for 2 months and eating 400 low-carb calories a day. My friends and family thought I had an eating disorder. I added exercise back in my life after the 2 months and ate more balanced, but have kept the weight off for 4 years now and am hoping to lose another 15 pounds and unfortunately know that this is the only method that will work for me.