Before I realized I had problems with hypothyroid I put on quite a lot of weight. I suffered from memory loss and my mood was quite low but I attributed all of the symptoms to menopause. I changed my nutrition and started to walk everyday for at least 30 minutes but nothing made me feel better or lose that extra weight. I went to a doc to ask for advice when they send me to further testing. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid then. I was put on levoxyl and I was expecting some weight loss but nothing is happening. Is there anybody who was on the same therapy. Did you manage to get rid of that extra pounds?

My mom suffers from hypothyroid and I was reading that for some people therapy only with levothyroxine is not enough. I remember reading that some people suffering from hypothyroid also need a bit of T3 hormone to feel well. Maybe this is your case as well.

I have been suffering from a hypothyroid for the last 10 years and levoxyl has not helped with my weight. I am at my heaviest weight ever. My doctor suggested the South Beach diet and it was helpful for my husband but not me.

The worse things about hypothyroid are lossing a lot of my wavy, thick hair as well as being so heavy.

Most people don't understand that even when I diet it is nearly impossible to drop any weight. You get a lot of advice on the best way to drop the weight quickly. :'( I don't eat meat except for poultry. When people find out that I don't eat meat they tend to say, "you don't look like a vegetarian because they tend to be skinny".

you need to avoid sugar too...

only drink water and exercise 30 minutes 3 times a week...

and by exercise i don't mean a wimpy walk...

i mean a bicycle ride, jog, or some aerobics

i have an untreated hypothyroid problem that i just discoverd last week

and at 5'7" was 257 lbs 8 months ago

i have gradually built myself up to intense workouts and now weigh 216

now that is a low 5 lbs a month loss for intense training
but i will keep it up until i am in perfect shape

the problem is you need courage, strength, and determination

there is no easy weight loss
especially for people with metabolic disorders like hypothyroidism
believe me.. i work out so hard for 5 lbs a month... i work out 5 days a week... it was horrible and hard at first... but now i love it... it increases my metabolism and helps fight my hypothyroidism... its the only way i can hope to be in good shape... i can't have excuses and expect my body to work as easily as everyone elses... i have accepted the fact that i have to work this hard just to have what others can have while stuffing their face and doing nothing... and i love the new stronger, faster, thinner me... so you have to work a little harder for it... no big deal... but its not like waiting will change it... just get out there and take what is rightfully yours!

I gained 80 LBS in Three months before the doctors finally did the blood tests and found my problem. That was 8 years ago. Since then I have lost 50 LBS of it. At the time I was a bike cop, Riding a bicycle for 8 hours a day and gaining weight at that rate I knew something was wrong. I exersice everyday ( run three miles) and still have a hard time. I have been told that taking over the counter medication for weight loss will cause severe reactions with my thyroid medication. I take a T-3 replacement of levoxyl 150mcg. Every other year it gets bumped up 25mcg. I have also changed my diet to a low cal & extremely low fat. I eat mostly bakek fish , baked chicken, baked turkey, steamed veggies, ect.

I have been using Levoxyl for around 10 years and my weight zoomed up to 254 a year ago. I'm 5'7" and 60 years old (which may also impact my ability to keep weight down).

Today I weigh 210, and I've lost weight by drastically limiting my calorie intake and eliminating all sugar,white flour, pasta, potatos, fried foods, butter, soft drinks, etc. Right now I've plateaued at 210 for 3 weeks eating less than 1000 calories/day...but I don't exercise that much either. I just reviewed articles that say you need to take Levoxyl BY ITSELF which I really haven't been doing. I've had coffee and calcium/vitamin pills with it and I'm now reminded that these can cause Levoxyl not to work. I knew this once but forgot over the years. I'll make the changes and see if that helps.

:-( well today when my doctor called and said your thyroid level is elevated, and I need to start taking these pills ( levothtyroxine) I was happy, thinking oh good now I will be able to lose some of this weight I have been putting on over the years, Then I come on here, that is not what I am hearing. :-(
what is T3?
And are there other medications I can take that help with the Hypothyroidism and weight gain?

I am 26 year old female and I have had Hypothyriodism for 9 years. I was extreamly skinny before being diagnosed with the disease. Over the years I was gaining weight. I was only taking Synthroid. I stopped that prescription and started Armour thyroid which has T4, T3, T2, T1. I know were a size 6 and feel great..; give it a try.

I gained about 50lbs from March 07' thru October 07'. I asked my doctors if they found this unusual as I have never weighed over 125lbs, even when I went in to have my twins. They said no, but then decided to do bloodwork and found that I had Hypothyroidism. I have Fibromyalgia as well, not to mention damage to my lungs from Community Acquired MRSA. Yea 07' was not one of my best years. Anyway, I am now looking for ways to try and loose weight mainly thru my diet as exercise is very painful due to the Fibromyalgia. What about Biotin. A dermatoligist put me on it to promote re-growth of my hair after I was so sick with the MRSA and lost most of it. Anyway I read somewhere that Biotin boosted matabolism. Could this be true. They say my Levothyroxin has my hormone levels back to normal,,,, should I consider another type of hormone treatment? %-)

Hi, I'm hypothyroid and take synthroid. I lost a great deal of hair before I was diagnosed. I read an article about a month ago on the positive effects on hair, nails and skin by taking Biotin. I picked some up and noticed a change in about 3 days.
Now my hair is fuller, healthier, and my nails are strong and grow quickly. I take the biotin mid day to avoid any interaction with my synthroid.
I am also like many here, I gained 80 pounds in probably 6 months with odd jumps in weight. Like 8 pounds in two days when I ate almost nothing and worked in the yard all weekend. My DR didn't believe that I wasn't doing anything to gain the weight, I had been a size 6 at 5'8" tall. I went in to him 3 times asking for help not knowing what was wrong with me. He wouldn't help and instead lectured me about eating less and all I could think was eat less? I'm barely eating now. Then one morning I woke up with my eyes so puffy and swollen that I could barely see. This was the norm for me at this point and I made an emergency visit with the DR to show him. That was when he ordered the thyroid test. My levels came back at 176. Before I could switch DRs, he left the practice. The new DR is okay but I don't think he really knows what he is doing and I don't think my hypo is being managed properly so I have an appt with an endo DR and I"m hoping to get better management of this condition so I feel better.
I really just wanted to say that Biotin is really pretty good for helping with the hair/nail/skin issue of thyroid problems. You can pick it up about anywhere that has a vitamin section.

I'm a health professional student, and hypothryoid myself, and wnated to shed some light on the weight gain situation. Becoming hypothyroid makes you gain an abnormal (meaning not normal for your own body and metabolism) amt of weight. Starting hormone therapy like synthroid, levoxyl, or levothyroxine will all TREAT SYMPTOMS-but this does not reverse the weight loss, unfortunately. what it does is bring your metabolism back up to speed to your own body's 'normal' level of metablism, so that you dont continue gaining 10lbs every week!

The good thing is that now with the right dose of thyroid medication, a healthy diet and exercise, its actually possible to lose that weight, whereas without the hormone therapy u would just keep gainin and gainin and gaining!

take home msg: just cuz the weiht didnt automatically disappear after starting the meds, doesnt mean the meds arent working. if you've stopped gaining rapid weiht, its good and it means the medication IS working, u jus gotta nudge it a little with some lifestyle measures if u want to lose it allll

hope it helps, and gives hope:) good luck!

I had my thyroid removed, ansd parathyroid, 2 years ago. I take levoxyl, 300mcg daily. I gain 10 lbs then lose 2lbs, water weight, I am depressed, i have muscle pain, joint pain, headaches, did I say depressed? I am almost ready to give up. Help!!

I have always been a size 2, I exercise everyday and eat an organic vegi lifestyle. In April I started gaining weight in one month I gained 18 pounds, I couldn't fit into my cloths! In 4 months I was 30 pounds heavier my cloths don't fit, I am depressed,and my joints hurt. I started an extreme workout regiment working out 1-2hrs. everyday burning 1200 cal. I change my diet to an intake of 1200 a day to try and mange the weight. Nothing worked!!!! I am so freaked out about the weight gain my social life is gone I have no cloths that fit I don't want to leave the house and see my friends (they know me as a fit size 2). I just went to the Dr. for thyroid test. I can deal with the painful joints but I cant deal with the increasing weight gain. How fast do the meds. work for the weight?

I just wanted to share, I have always weighed 105-110 pounds, I had my thyroid removed exactly a year ago. After four months i notice a few extra lbs, zipper not going up, buttons not buttonig. I have gained a total of 30 lbs., I hate it, I became depressed and no exercise. I was taking my sythroid 112mcc faithfully, however, i started to get tired all the time, UNTIL I SLEPT FOR 2 DAYS STRAIGHT. My fiance called the doctor and he said to immediately bring me to the ER., It turned out that my calcium levels were twice the normal rate. I almost had a stroke, (I could not make sense and I was talking nonsense). I was hospitalized for a week - all is ok now.... Whatever you do MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR BLOOD WORK UP TO DATE, EVERY FEW MONTHS, EVERY OTHER MONTH IF YOU HAVE TO. If you stared to feel extremely tired and sluggish = CALL YOU DOCTOR. Back to thWe weight issue (I hate the extra pounds), I need to excercise. My doctor explained it simple and to the point "WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A THYROID, YOU HAVE TO WORK HARDER THEN A NORMAL PERSON TO BE ABLE TO BURN, OUR BODY IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT IT., HE SAID IT'S HARDER TO BURN OFF THE FAT AND WEIGHT. He is sensitive and just pushes me to work hard without making me feel like a fat person. We all just need to get a partner to walk, share our feeling with and it will work out. I've stared already. Good luck to all of you. :D

Hey, I'm curious about the hair loss that many of you have experienced. I myself am getting checked for thyroid this week, but in the last 18 months I have lost sooo much hair. I had thick thick hair before thank goodness, but I really notice a differencel, like literally 30% of it is gone! Once you started medication and got your body back to normal a little bit, did your hair grow back?? I'm really worried about this!