I'M A 32 YR OLD FEMALE WHO HAD A TOTAL THYROIDECTOMY ON THIS JULY 27,06. SINCE MY SURGURY I HAVE HAD MASSIVE HAIR LOSS AND INCREASED ANXIETY. I HAVE ALSO MISSED MY MY MENSTRUAL CYCLE LAST MONTH BUT HAVE HAD ALL THE SYMPTOMS CRAMPING, SORE BREASTS ECT. . I AM NOT CURRENTLY SEXUAL ACTIVE AND MY CYCLE HAS BEEN FINE UP TILL NOW.AND THE WEIGHT I HAVE GAINED IS RIDICULOUS! :-(

I had my thyroid removed just over 2 months now due to a large nodule came back negative for cancer and am still feeling quite alot of pain in the incision, more of a sharp pain then anything else and I still find the incision fairly bumped up... anyone else feel this? As well gained 15lbs in just over a month hadn't changed normal diet still exercising dr. upped dose to 150 of synthroid but I still don't feel myself... HELP!! Has anyone else gone through this?

I had my thyroid removed July 19, 2005 - so it's been just over a year. I've gone through all the same symptoms you are having now - took months and months for my period to become regular - actually i went probably 3-4 months without a period but also had the usual monthly symptoms. I have to say that the only thing that seemed to FINALLY get my period regular as of May of this year was switching from synthroid to armour thyroid. Also had weight gain. I gained 25 pounds after the surgery and that was on top of alreafy having gained 50 before the surgery. Again, I am now at a place where weight loss is back to normal. If i eat right and exercise i can loss weight at the same normal rate before the graves disease. I have to say that while on synthroid i had every symptom you can think of - weight gain, bloating, hair loss, dry DRY skin, also flipped to hypo and it wasn't getting better. I know everyone is different but if you don't feel good on your current medication you should think about switching - and not let the doctor tell you the "numbres" look good because what really matters is how you feel. I am writing this to let everyone know that you aren't alone. I actually gained 20 pounds in one month TWICE! And when i worked out every day and ate right the only thing that did was help me to not GAIN but did nothing for losing. Armour is the best.

Hello Ladies,

I had a total thyroidectomy 9/06. I have been on synthroid and levothoroxine(?), anyway, I have not had a menstrual cycle in at least 3 years! I continue to have all the monthly symptoms but not cycle. I am 43 years old and married 4 years this year. I wanted to get pregnant last year, but without a cycle, how can I? I have gained weight, but it has not been a major issue, just thought it was due to some poor choices. However, maybe it is related to my thytroidectomy. I have not had any other symptom of hair loss, in fact, my hair has grown much longer and my skin and nails are normal. I just want to know will I ever get my cycle back? I will be 44 this year and feel that my child bearing years are behind my now :-( I think I may talk with my doctor about the amor thyroid medication. I am glad it hit this site because I thought it was just me. Thanks for the insight and information!

i had a total thyroiectomy on 5/24/05 my menstrual cycle hasnt changed, however the weight gain is uncontrollable..... has anyone found something that works, my levels are ok but cant seem to lose any weight.... it was stable for a while after i had gained 55 lbs but now i started going up again..... just gained another 4 lbs in the last week

Man, this really hit home. My total thyroidectomy occurred in 1987 and it has been nothing but a constant struggle ever since. I don't remember having any female trouble but the steady weight gain without ever changing my eating habits or physical activity has me finally just depressed. I cannot find a diet without total starvation that works for any length of time. I wish someone could tell us what to do.

Hi, so glad I found this post! I am having the same problems that you are and don't know what to do next. I had a total thyroidectomy on 9/1/05 and RAI in 10/05, that was a nightmare! I have not felt right since. The surgery threw me into menopause, I am 49 now and prior to my surgery I had periods, although scanty. I started on BHRT (bio-identical hormones) last year at this time and took them for 2 months because I didn't have ANY progesterone at all. After two months, I went off of them because I felt bad, but I felt bad before that too. Anyway, I had a period on my own, that was a year ago. I haven't had one since. I have had to have my thyroid levels reduced twice because the levels were too high. Lately, I have had extreme hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, acne, severe irritability, depression and negative thoughts that scare me. My blood sugar feels like it drops all the time and I'm extremely hungry, and have gained weight around my middle. I started back on the BHRT and the night sweats and hot flashes are better but I still feel like my all my hormones are out-of-whack !! I feel just awful!!! I went to my GP last week to get blood tests and he said my progesterone was fine but he didn't check my estrogen, although I asked him to. My thyroid levels were on the high normal side. He said to not eat any sugar or carbs and that should take care of the hypoglycemia, and fatigue. I know there is more it than that. I suspect that my adrenals may not be working as they should and that my other hormones may not be BALANCED. I'm so tired I just can't hardly help myself. My thyroid levels may be too high for ME. I take levothyroxine 88 mcgs. I don't know who to go to to help me get my endocrine system in balance. Any ideas?? If not, just a word of encouragement would help, I'm so down. :-(

I had a partial thyroidectomy on May 8, 2006. Even though my blood levels were normal, for the past five years I felt compression on my neck. After having the surgery, I was in an extreme amount of pain. My neck remained swollen and the incision was very sensitive. I saw the surgeon three to four times during the summer and also my thyroid specialist. Both were at a loss as to why I was experiencing so much pain. After having the most painful ultrasound guided biopsy the two doctors agreed that the best option for me was to have the other half removed. Due to the fact that Hasimoto's disease decided to take up residence on the right side, I headed back to the operating room on Dec. 29th, 2006. I still have pain, swelling and sensitivity at the incision site, but nothing compaired to the first surgery. I am 53 and have always had my periods regularly. After the first surgery, I missed the first month. After the second surgery, I missed the first month, but the next month my period was the worst it had ever been. I actually thought I was hemorraging, it was very scarey. I had my period again and now I have not had it for three months. I don't know if it is from the medication, (125) or menopause. I don't have any menopausal symptoms, though I am always hot. I believe that is a side affect from the medicine. I am always tired, and can not lose weight. I am always watching what I eat and exercise often. I think I was better off having a thyroid and wish I could just get back to how I was feeling before the surgery.

Guest wrote:

Man, this really hit home. My total thyroidectomy occurred in 1987 and it has been nothing but a constant struggle ever since. I don't remember having any female trouble but the steady weight gain without ever changing my eating habits or physical activity has me finally just depressed. I cannot find a diet without total starvation that works for any length of time. I wish someone could tell us what to do. [/quote
]take thyroid hormone !!!!

hi, i just found the site but haven't been able to figure out how to read the responses/replies...anyway, on May 29, 2007 i had a total thyroidectomy due to a large nodule and slight hyperthyroidism...i've done ok except my weight is harder to maintain and i gained 5 lbs. within the first month after surgery...my doctor says as we get older we have to be more careful, i'm 46. however, i've not changed much in terms of eating habits so i do think it's related...I also get muscle cramps at night kinda like the ones i used to get when pregnant...anyone else have leg cramps? Also, i'm only on 0.137 mcg of synthroid which doc says my numbers are good so she can only increase to 7 1/2 pills a week to see if that helps with the fatigue..i've recently noticed waking up "bone tired" where my muscles actually ache...a lot of my symptoms are subtle so i'm not sure if its that i need to exercise more or if its medication..i'm open to any help or advice...thanks everyone for sharing your stories..it's helpful...

I had a total thyoidectomy 6 weeks ago and I feel horrible. Not as bad as I did with my graves disease and taking PTU. I just expected to feel better. I am a RN and trying to figure out what is wrong is very difficult. I am hyper in the morning and dead to the world by noon until bedtime. I have insomnia at night, but want to sleep all day. I have horrible legs cramps nightly. Mentally...I just feel out of sorts (not depression). I have horrible night sweats but turn up the heat and wear a hoodie when I am awake. There is no happy medium with my symptoms.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I am sure if there is someone who feels good status post thyroidectomy, they probably won't be checking blog sites.

I am 27 and had my surgery 10 months ago and I thought I was the only one with problems thanks for all the rest of the people who wrote in too

I am an RN too and still feel like c**p 1 year post total thyroidectomy from thyroid cancer. I am hyper in am, dead tired all day and restless at night with the leg cramps. I do feel depressed and my cycles are all messed up/ The docs keep telling me to give it time---I have 3 kids at home (11yr, 3yr and 20 months) and a husband who works 70-80 hrs a week. Any advice now???

yes, I have had my thyroid removed 1 year ago in October. I have gained approximately 15 pounds, my dose is 175 and I sill feel the same. The bump at the incision went away in a few months.

I had my right thyroid removed 3 weeks ago, because of the 3cm nodule but I feel better now. I was diagnosed of premature ovarian failure a month before my operation and I had those menopause symptoms. But now my period came back, I believe it is because of the thyroidectomy. I hope I was able to help. Pray for all your problems. God Bless!