I have a friend who suffers from graves disease, and I have never dared asking her much about her condition but I know that it is progressive and potentially life threatening. My friend is in her 30s, and I want to ask you what the average life expectancy for graves disease patients is?

Hello there,

Well first of all if this is your good friend you should definitely talk with her because graves disease is not something that can’t be treated. You should know that Graves ‘disease is an autoimmune disease where the thyroid is overactive and this means that it is producing an excessive amount of thyroid hormones.

When it comes to the treatment it is unfortunately yet unknown how to stop the process of autoimmune disease but Graves ’ disease is managed on three different ways and this usually depends on some other circumstances. Most common treatment option is use of antithyroid drugs and they have role to reduce the production of thyroid hormone. I hope this was helpful and go and talk with your friend.

Sorry to be late to reply, but I just wrote a blog post on the topic.

I couldn't get a precise estimate of risks, but with proper medical care Graves' likely reduces the average lifespan by 1 to 4 years. But a lot of the extra deaths occurs (quite rarely) as the disease is brought under control, so change in life expectancy may not be that good an indicator.

That said I think it is variable, people who are diagnosed late can have developed heart problems before the hyperthyroidism is bought under control, and the eye problems can dramatically lower the quality of life without necessarily having life threatening complications.

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

your actually a little uninformed about the topic there guy~ because sometimes you get us special cases where our thyroid is so all over it wont regulate long enough for the medicine to absorb, let alone see if it works & needs to be adjusted... just sharing a bit of what i know~ from nursing school & my many doctors that all think they can help... until they review my chart :) good luck!

I had Graves Disease diagnosed in 1975....I was treated w/Radioactive Iodine...surgery is another option. The anti Thyroid meds are for conditions that were not as severe as mine...... IT is now many years later, and I have always been on replacement Synthyroid...NON GENERIC...REMEMBER THIS, generics in this med is not as affective and should use SYNTHITIC....not natural.. Good luck when u get this diagnosis...IT can be quite serious...

You really should talk with your friend. I wish my friends would talk with me.

I would like for you to talk with me please.

Just diagnosed with Graves. after many years of being ignored, told to exercise more(which is the last thing I shoudk have done) change my diet, get to bed earlier, see a psychiatrist for depression(wanting to have energy and live life is not depressio) and other helpful suggestions. I am very advanced, muscle waist, eye starting to bulge, poor vision, pain, weakness, exhaustion, intestinal problems, etc. I am in the 10% with resistwnwc to weight loss. Anyone else in this category?

Yes. I'm male, 27, 6', and currently weigh 137 lbs. Never been above 140.

Yes.. I am. Just reading this post. I am beside myself. I sweat horribly all the time, have heat intolerance, my heart races, I've no energy, I sleep too many hours, I gain weight and can not take it off. I'm told to exercise more... and take something for my depression. Please can someone help? I am taking levothyroxine. They killed my thyroid with radiation. I took massive steroid infusions at an infusion clinic for 6 weeks. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hello Everyone. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease after my youngest child, which is 21 now. I have suffered for many years trying so many things and different advices to overcome many symptoms. However, the changes that really help was changing from levothyroxine to synthroid. Do not use generic meds. I have found that the food I was eating have been contributing to me not feeling well. I have since got with my GI doctor and eliminated gluten, dairy, wheat, & soy from diet. I feel 90% better. The foods was cause many symptoms like bloating, gas, nausea, sleepiness, brain fog, incontinent, increased belly fat, back and abdominal pain, body swelling, just to mention a few complaints. With diet and exercise I have shaved off 80 lbs. in 2 years. I do regular walking, bike riding, aerobics, resistance bands (the best/quick results). By following a LOW FODMAP diet from my GI doctor, I have made a drastic improvement in my health condition. I have a team of doctors (Primary Care Physician, Endocrinologist, R. Arthritis Dr., GI Dr., Nutritionist, Physical Therapist. With this team, I have made much improvements. I have been able to control my weight a lot better and my clarity has improved. I have much more energy since started LOW FODMAP diet 6 months ago. Lost over 20 lbs. in the last 5 months. Realized 80% of the foods I was eating contained wheat or dairy. I had some lays salt n vinegar chips (love them) however it contains milk. Who thought that the chips, nuts, beef jerky, and other snack foods contain dairy, wheat, soy, and gluten. Please take the time to really examine the foods that you consume. Be careful with eating out because if a restaurant runs out of a product, they will use whatever they have available and not care about your condition. On the other hand, some restaurants are willing to remove many things from the meal upon your request. So just get to know your local cooks and chefs. Graves Disease is a condition that has many side effects that can not be explained. Many conditions you know that side effects and what to look for, but with Graves Disease is not so obviously because the thyroid controls the body and many things can set off some unexplained situation that is related to your condition. Like hot and cold sensitive, irritability, uncontrolled weight loss or gain, starring, mood swings, brittle hair and nails, etc. Take medicine at same time everyday helps. Also, my hair and skin has shown improvement by being on the LOW FODMAP diet. It took maybe two weeks before I was better from the withdrawal symptoms of the diet. You will have change from foods that you may have grown up eating. Like peaches and apples! What! yes a apple a day may be a problem. If you start this diet, do work with your GI doctor because this is a life changing event.

I was diagnosed when I was 30. I am now 58. My health is relatively good for my age and I'm still fairly active. I guess much depends on how it is managed in the beginning, what modalities used (i.e., radioactive iodine, pills, surgery). Overall, I hear that lifespan is shortened by a few years on average - AVERAGE is the key word here. Some die young because it's not diagnosed in time and that changes the averages.

I have Graves' disease 2006 I'm 52 now thyroid was radiated and never felt right turn diabetic 2 Doctors push lots a meds on me for blood pressure meds high cholesterol meds maxed on diabetic meds allergic to insolence allergic to beef and pork , my appendix is took out, gallbladder it's just been taken out ,two months back now the told me I got chronic kidney disease,I have a 14 year old hope to stay a live to see him turn 18 ,my heart is being hit ,

Xsnow (above) is right. Listen to her and you can heal. Read Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's book, "The Autoimmune Protocol - How to Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body". It was my go-to resource for the 18 months it took me to heal and get back to normal (normal blood work and no symptoms!). It is imperative to find out what is causing inflammatory response in your body. For me gluten and dairy are top banished items. Got rid of all the weird maladies associated with Graves and other autoimmune diseases, similar to Xsnow: brain fog, muscle weakness, insomnia, fatigue, depression. Also, lifelong issues such as excema gone and migraine now extremely rare. Most allopathic physicians and specialists clueless about the connection between diet and autoimmunity, including my endocrinologist, who denounced AIP (autoimmune protocol) as "anecdotal". If you are sick you have nothing to loose by trying this for a few weeks or a month. When I started my immediate improvement motivated me, as it is very difficult to change your life permanently in this way, but you get your life back.

I was diagnosed with graves disease about 9 years ago when i was 8. I didn't understand what was really happening until about two years ago. They gave me radioactive iodine but what we didn't know at the time was that it affected my whole body because of how young and small I was. I have been to too many doctors to count to figure out why my body does not function but no one knows. There are too many variables. I went to the Mayo Clinic a year ago and they ran a bunch of tests but could not conclude anything. Since then I have cut dairy and gluten out of my diet. I exercise enough as it is for I spend about 10-15 hours swimming each week. I have no immune system so I get sick often and I can't fight off sickness or infections. I take a cocktail of pills every morning and night. I have learned to live with this. It doesn't stop me from any daily activities. It is what it is, but I'm hoping that I can figure out exactly what is going on. I have one more year left in high school, and I'm planning on later going to medical school after college all because of what I have experienced with Graves. Life is too short to focus on the negatives. I've accepted the problems Graves has caused but it won't stope from living my life to the fullest. :)