Hello! I have just come home from the hospital where I was for the preparation for the total thyroidectomy procedure I am about to have. Another patient whom I have met there told me that he gained a lot of weight since his operation. Is this true? Is there anybody with the similar experience?

Hi! Yes, I did gain weight after my total thyroidectomy. When I was talking to the doctor he told me this is because when there aren’t adequate levels of thyroid hormone, patients may feel very uncomfortable, may gain weight and feel very tired.

I had a total thyroidectomy 2 months ago and have been gaining weight consistently since then (9lbs). My TSH is 20.50. I have been going to Weight Watchers on the recomendation of my Doctor, but have only lost two lbs. in 4 weeks. I am not giving up. Have been going to the gym six days a week (aerobics and spinning). Am very tired but have noticed the exercise really helps. Am reading a great book, "Living Well with Hypothyroidism", by Mary J. Shomon. It has really answered so many of my questions.

If your TSH is 20, you will gain weight. It needs to be optimal (1-2) for you not to gain weight.

I too have gained weight after my thyroidectomy. Not sure what to do. My levels are just about right, but still gaining. Any ideas??

Thanks, Linda

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I wish I could help those who posted previously but I am in the same boat. I had my thyroid removed in 7/06; I began taking Synthroid in 9/06 and did not achieve a normal TSH level until mid-12/06. I gained 8 lbs after my surgery and in 9/06 began exercising 5x/week and eating an average of 1500 calories/day. I had not lost ANY weight by the end of 2/07. In 3/07, I had to stop my Synthroid for 7 wks in order to have another body scan, after which I gained 9 lbs, even though I continued with my "diet" and exercise regimen. I am so frustrated, I want to give up trying to lose weight. How long will it be before my metabolism will begin working again???? I feel very alone in this process. People with a thyroid complain of not being able to lose weight, but they have no idea what people who have no thyroid go through!

I am facing a total thyroidectomy soon. I am very concerned about weight gain and diabetes mellitus Type 2. I work very hard at keeping my blood sugar normal through diet and exercise. I do not take any medications and I am scared to death after the thyroidectomy, I will gain weight and my DM will be difficult to control. Does anyone have any input here.

I had my thyroid removed 8/06 because of papillary thryoid cancer had radioiodine therapy in oct. I put on 30 lbs during this process. The docs are constantly changing my synthroid. I was at 200mcg and felt pretty good and now they took my back down to 175 and said I was to high. Now, I can't lose any weight I hardly eat any carbs and I have a very active job and started back at the gym. This is so frustrating, I hate when the doctor's say the weight has to come off like normal weight, I don't believe it cause I never had problems losing weight like this before.;

I have had the same problem! Thyroidectomy in 2001, the doctor keeps lowering my meds, despite the fact that I tell him everytime he lowers it I feel more tired and gain more weight. I finally decided, on my own, to go back up to the last level he had me at (1300 mcg per week instead of the 1200mcg he wants me at) and I started to feel better and lost five pounds in a month. And yes, I have been excercising regularly and watching what I eat for the past year. He tells me the numbers say I need to reduce the meds, despite what I tell him. Why won't he listen to how I tell him I feel, rather than what the tests say?!

I never had a weight problem until my thyroid cancer and I am so frustrated, sometimes I just want to cry. (OK, I have cried! ;-) )

I had a thyroidectomy 12/06..I have since then put on 13 lbs. I can't fit into any of my jeans any longer. I've tried diet junk, and nothing seems to work...Do I jiust stop eating all together....When Does my metabolism kick in...or will it ever...?

I HAD MY THYROIDECTOMY IN 2001, SINCE THEN I HAVE PUT ON MORE

THAN 60 LBS. NEVER HAVE I BEEN OVER 150 LBS. ON MY 5'9 FRAME, MY

LIFE HAS BEEN A TOTAL HELL SINCE THIS OPERATION. MY HAIR IS DRY

AND BRITTLE, MY SKIN THAT WAS ONCE SO SMOOTH AND SILKY, IS NOW DRY AND ASHEN, I HAVE MEMORY LOSS, I'M TIRED ALL THE TIME,

AND I HAVE A LUMP IN MY THROAT (LIKE A ADAMS APPLE). DO NOT STOP EATING AS I DID, HOPING TO STOP THE WEIGHT GAIN, I GAINED MORE. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO HAVE MINE REMOVED, BECAUSE IT

WAS CHOKING ME, (WHILE I WAS SLEEP). I WOULD WAKE UP GASPING FOR AIR TO BREATH. JUST DON'T STOP EATING, PLEASE!!!!!!

I HAVE EVEN DID A TEST TO SEE IF THAT TSH TEST IS ACCURATE!!!!

TWO WEEKS BEFORE MY TSH TESTING I STOP TAKING MY MEDS, (SYNTH), AND WENT TO TAKE THE TEST. THE RESULTS WERE THE SAME AS WHEN I TOOK MY MEDS. NOW YOU GO FIGURE. I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE, I'M STILL OUT OF WHACK.

GOOD LUCK

Hi there, I had a thyroidectomy in 2003 and struggled a lot like you guys. I started an exercise program (but do not exert yourself, your body is not the same even if doctors say so) and found that the process was slow but I did loss the weight and gain my energy. I also found that sleeping was very important, make sure you get 8 hours a night (for me early to bed and early to rise) worked. I also tried something else and found it gave me a little more energy but your endocrine will try and tell you that it does not make a difference >:( and yes for some it does not but for others it does. I substituted 50mcg of T4 with 10mcg of T3 and I found it gave me more energy. So I was taking 225mcg a day (I'm 6'3 and need a large dose)...now I take 175mcg T4 in the morning and 10mcg T3 in the late afternoon. This will help with your energy. If your doctor questions you wanting to mix T4 and T3 ask him why the thyroid gland produces T3 and T4??? I also working in a medical lab which helped getting the balance right for a slightly suppressed TSH (I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer) and need the TSH slightly suppressed to prevent further growth. I hope this might help a few :-) . Happy exercising and God bless

I had a total thyroidectomy in december 2005, have gained weight since despite going to the gym and a good healthy diet.The nurse recently told me that it can take up to 5 years for your body to return to a normal state,plus your pituitary gland goes into overdrive thinking you still have a thyroid . Nurse said nothing they could do untill the pituitary gland returns to normal, doesnt stop you feeling sad when your weight goes up though does it. :'(

Try 40lbs. since September! Thats only 8 months. However, I seem to have stabilized at 40 THANK GOD. I notice that I feel better when I am not taking synthroid but I get very very tired. I have a physical job and know that exercise should help. I am about to go on a campaigne to loose it.

I also seem to get sick easily since my thyroid was taken.

I had my total surgical thyroidectomy in 1998, I have gained weight -40 lbs , have calcium absorption problems. I also have been seeing the doctor for a frozen shoulder and in the last year I have been feeing tired.
I had papillary carcinoma. I wish I could loose weight, I eat only healthy food, and portion that well to prevent gaining, so far that has not helped. 8-|