Community Administrator
You can use this thread to discuss causes and incidence of heartbeats in the ears. This is a sequent of the Heartbeat in ear thread.

It's rather worrying what some of the causes of this can be. I'm 16, and so it's very worrying that I might have a tumor or something... I get the wooshing in my left ear at random times, and have had for the past month. Pressing my neck on the same side temporarily stops it. I've always has this while yawning, but at a constant rather than a heartbeat.

I've noticed lately after mild exertion I am also getting the rushing sound in my right ear. I've have not been the most active I can be in the past 6 months, but am a far cry from overweight and am 32yrs old. I have been under quite an amount of stress(though I have yet to admit it to anyone), and do smoke as well as take narcotics prescribed for back pain. It's at the point where I even just kinda jog up the stairs I can hear a distinct rushing sound in my right ear in time with my heart beat. I have noticed this along with headaches and lethargy and this was an immediate WTF.
As soon as the rushing showed itself I knew it was far from right. Personally I am thinking hypertention, figuring at the time I was a perfect candidate for high blood pressure with the stress of the past year, but after reading some of the responses here I am full of doubt and worry, and fully intend to visit my md soon.

I also get a whoosing, thorugh which i can hear my heartbeat. Nothing else happens so i think its normal (Maybe i have a little fluid in my ear).

I am 44 and have had the condition you describe so precisely for a couple of weeks. It developed suddenly and spontaneously. I was sitting in a chair and reading a book the first time I noticed it. Mostly on the right side - I can lessen the sound temporarily by pressing lightly on the veins on the sides my neck. I have never had high blood pressure and don't have the typical risk factors but will get it checked. I don't take any meds. One posting I read somewhere indicated that it can be related to allergies and I do have a few mild pollen type allergies. I am under a ton of stress lately - which is unusual for me. I am very mellow by nature.
This is making me NUTS (did I mention that I am very mellow by nature?) It is just a matter of time before people start to wonder why I always have my fingers clasped to my throat... (to lightly, physically constrict the veins in my neck so I don't have to listen to the pulsing sound, of course.. but they don't know that) PLEASE someone reply with a simple solution! This is making me crazy! o.O

I have had this whoosing in my left ear for about 6 months. It has become more frequent. I now have only brief (5-6 min) breaks from it. I have trouble going to sleep and only very loud noises of certain tones can block it. It started as just once a week and for only a few minutes each time. Now it's essentially a constant thing. Sometimes very very loud, sometimes not so much. If I tilt my head to the left all the way it gets softer, but I haven't found anything that makes it stop, even for a few minutes.

I am a 26 year old woman and the only medication I take is Paxil for OCD. I have been on the Paxil for over 2 years and the sound just started around January so I doubt it's the medicine. I also just got a new job so I have no insurance until September.

I am so glad to have found other people with the same problem. I get so frustrated sometimes that I just want to stick a sharp object in my ear to stop it. I will keep watching the forum for any suggestions. I have read every single post in this thread, and I hope some of you have found relief.

Wow - all these years I thought I was totally alone in this. I have the pulsing sound in my right ear. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a pregnant woman's sonogram. This started when I was 20 and now I'm 26 and it's just getting louder and louder. It began where I can only hear it at night, but now it's all the time and LOUD! I have seen 2 ENTs over the years and have had an ENG, MRI and MRA with no results. THe doctor's have all told me that I'll just have to live with it! Now it's so loud, I'd rather lose my hearing in that ear then go on listening to it.
I went back to see my family doctor yesterday to plead with him for any help at all. I am scheduled for another MRI and MRA, then he's going to send me up one of the "Ivory Towers" aka UofMichigan.
If I find anything out of interest, I will share.
Wish me luck!

DO NOT DISPAIR!!!!

im no expert, but i had this a few years ago. it just went away on its own, after a month or two, i think!

My whooshing and heartbeat in my right ear started mid-June, 2007. I underwent gastric bypass in May, 2007 and started surfing the web to see if other bypass patients experienced this. I assumed due to high blood pressure and complications I was having in June it was just pressure and would go away. However after being on two bp medications the pressure decreased dramatically and the noise maintained. I also found during my researching that tinnitis occurs if a person has malnutrition. I have been sent to a EENT and my hearing tests shows congential hearing loss and am going in for a MRI. Stress does increase the intensity of the symptoms and now in the last two weeks pain has been occurring. I do exercise at the gym at least 6 days a week and that does not make it any better or worst. I mention that because exercise does increase the blood flow as you hit your target area. I really am lucky I came across this website. It has been at least a sigh of relief I am not alone in this situation.

I am 6 months pregnant.Recently I have had this heartbeat in my left ear especially after physical activity or just laying in bed.I just thought it was probably high blood pressure but when i go to my OB/GYN for my appointments my blood pressure is always good.I am afraid to say anything because I'm sure there's not much they could do because I'm pregnant.But,the sound is driving me crazy and I would like to find out the cause of it.

I'm, 56 & I've been able to hear my heartbeat in my ears off and on all my life. Usually only if it is quiet, like when I'm reading or at bed time. It never really bothered me untill I started nursing school last year. When I but the sthethoscope in my ears sometimes I hear my heartbeat over the patients, this is not good! I have always had sinus problems and minor allergies. It does seem to clear up if my sinuses aren't bothering me. I decided to look on the internet to see if there was any help out there. Doesn't seem like it. This thread has been going on for years!!

I'm right there with you guys! :-( The noise in my neck started in May 2006 when I was a few months pregnant. Unfortunately, not only has it not gone away, it seems to have gotten worse over the past few months. I just feel like I want to punch myself repeatedly in the neck to make it stop!

My noise is only on my left side, so if I sleep on my right side it's quiet for the most part. Of course, then everything else gets sore from trying to sleep in the same position all night. %-) I've discovered that if I put my finger (or knuckle) on a certain spot, that it'll be quiet. Sometimes I try to sleep like that, but of course once I fall asleep, my hand relaxes and the noise wakes me up. I use the same method to quiet it during the day when I'm at the computer (as long as I only need 1 hand to work).

I went to the doctor last year after the pregnancy and they ran all kinds of tests - CT scans, MRA, X-rays, hearing tests, etc. Everything came up negative (well, not fully b/c the CT scan actually discovered a mass in my chest that seems to be benign). The last doctor finally told me that there are procedures to do on the veins, but it's more invasive than necessary and it doesn't guarantee that it'll take care of the problem. So, basically, I just have to live with it until it goes away on it's own.

I had hoped that I could find the magic thing that would lessen the noise, but after 1-1/2 years, I haven't found anything yet.

You know, I seriously understand how people that "hear voices in their head" go crazy! I've heard that they will go to drastic measures just to shut them up. I would never harm myself, but I can totally understand how someone could do it!

My mother had this for a year. She's 77. Blockage in her right carotid artery was found w/ultrasound. Had surgery to clear artery, is fine now.

I have had this problem in my right ear for the past 6 weeks.

I hear a constant, loud "whoosh, whoosh, whooshing" in time to my pulse. I went to my family doctor who had an ultrasound of my neck done. They found nothing. She sent me to an ENT specialist who performed a MRI which showed nothing. She then had a MRA performed. The MRA showed that a prominent branch of my inferior anterior cerebellar artery is at the level of my porous acousticus and in contact with my seventh and eighth cranial nerves. The seventh cranial nerve is the auditory nerve. This contact between the artery and my seventh cranial nerve could account for my pulsative tinnitus. I go see an even more special specialist in two weeks to see what my options are for correcting the problem.

I'm hoping he has a solution because I have significant sensironeural hearing lose in my right ear because of this . . . not to mention it is driving me insane.