Hi, folks. I have been experiencing some weird ear ringing lately. It lasts for few weeks and I am beginning to think that it won’t pass on its own. I would like to know if this symptom can be a symptom of some serious condition. Can anyone tell me something about this? I would be grateful. Thanks.

Hello. Ear ringing is also known as tinnitus. It can be caused by several factors. The main cause is the damage of microscopic hair on the surface of auditory cells. This damage can be caused by age-related hearing loss. Sometimes noise can cause this type of damage. A long-term usage of some medications can also be blamed. Aspirin and some antibiotics can be dangerous. Trauma in this area or changes in ear bones are another factors. Disorders in blood vessels like atherosclerosis can be a common cause. I hope this helps.