I have had bad dizziness for about 5 months due to fluid in my left ear. ENT said that if I had a grommet fitted then it would cure the problem so I had the op 4 days ago.
Since then I am completely deaf about from whoosing and pulsating in my ear which is unbearable at night when it is quiet and it stopping me sleeping!! Im so scared. What is happening to me?
The docs didn't say anything about this. Has anybody else had this?

hi i see its been many months since you wrote your post i have resently had grommets put in both my ears, my left ear is fine now but my right ear is contantly making the whooshing noise, its driving me crazy i was just wondering IF and when did your ears stop whooshing, i really hope they did i cant stand this any longer and its only been a few days please help THANKS

Well,
If I am not mistaking you are having problem with condition that is called tinnitus. Have you heard about this or maybe if your doctor told you about this. Tinnitus is a condition where you will notice constant ringing or swishing or other similar sounds constantly in your ears. You have to understand that this is not a disease or anything like it. this is just a symptom of some other condition that you have. The fact that you already had a surgery is telling me that this is just a side effect of this procedure and most likely it will go away on its own after some time. I hope that this was helpful.
Good luck,
Karel

thank you for replying its nice to know that this could be just a side effect and not going to be permenent, it has subsided a little but at night i'm still unable to sleep because of the whooosing :-( my ear still has the full feeling as if i have a head cold and wearing ear plugs, i hope this also goes away in time.
Thank you! Rita

Hi everyone. I wanted to come on here to offer reassurance!!

I had a grommet put in my left ear a week ago and the next day my ear was extremely painful and I couldn't sleep all night because I could hear my heartbeat booming in my ear (FYI this is called Pulsatiletinnitus). After a second night with no improvement I came online to see if anyone else had experienced this and was scared to see so many people posting about it and saying it hadn't improved even a year later etc etc. Ended up in floods of tears.

Anyhow I just wanted to come back on here to say that while I saw no improvement AT ALL for 4 or 5 days my ear has now cleared up and the pulsing sound has gone almost completely. So please don't read all of these comments and scare yourself. Obviously some people will see no improvement (and for those people my heart goes out to you) but for everyone who posts on here in distress there are probably dozens who haven't experienced these problems or did experience them but they went away - they just haven't come on here to write that!

I'm really pleased I had the grommet done now. I still get a few pangs of pain here and there but that's to be expected when you've had surgery. My hearing is slowly returning to normal and my ear feels free of fluid for the first time in years.

Pulsatile tinnitus is often caused because your ear is so blocked that you can't hear external noises so all of your internal sounds become magnified. If this is the case, as soon as your hearing has improved the pulsing should stop.

Hope this helped someone. All the best.x

Ty karel i wont get 1 blessed

Thank you for you message. I had a grommet fitted a week ago and have felt considerably worse since. Yours is the first hope that I have had - most comments are adverse. I was not warned of these after-effects, especially the heart beating noise and so I have shock added to my disconfprt. Thanks for hope however. I am going to try to hope for improvement in the future. Dr. Joyce

Hi could anyone help after having grommets in both ears 1 week ago as i have meniers disease i now have really poor hearing like im underwater and loud whoosing noise in both ears i already had tinnitus but not to this extreme i am unable to go back to work as i cant hear customers does anyone no if this will correct itself and my hearing return although it was never great i could hear before grommets