I have a thumping sound in my right ear. It sounds like a heart beat. I'm in no pain but the thumping really bothers me. Should I be concerned? Should I go to the doctor? What is this thumping heart beat sound in my ear?

Thumping sound in your ear can be caused either by ear problems or some other conditions in your body. Plugged ears or ears which are filled with wax can be one of the reasons.  This can happen during cold or flu so if you have been sick lately than that is definitely cause of thumping sound in your ears.

Since you have mentioned that your thumping sounds like a heartbeat that could be related to the cardiovascular problems. These problems can be caused by high blood pressure which is making blood to rush to the ear and then you hear that thumping sound that resembles heartbeat.

Either way you will have to visit your doctor to find out the right cause of the sound so you could treat it.

I just had an attack of thumping in the ears as described above.  It was after splurging and eating a hotdog (I am diet conscious).  Having looked around the web to seek info, I have come up with nothing empirical as to its cause.  We just keep giving money to people who research and rigorously attend to the code of not offending the research hierarchy beyond getting the next research grant.  I just met a MD who spent ten years in research involving the human ear and its pathology.  He could not tell me any more than I already know.  He did admit that as a research person, he had to publish papers from time to time to keep the grants coming.  This is why his ilk can't even do anything with a person with a simple case of ringing in their ears.  It's like having disfunctional people addicted to welfare.  They have lost site of the goals of medicine, and replaced it with their own agenda to take care of themselves in an environment that has built in limited expectations. 

"If we spent as much money on astrophysics and astrobiology, as they do in medical research, we would have found a civilization with the answer to our health problems and our mortality, if we wait for our own science we will be extinct."

I have had the same problem or similar problem. My right ear was making a loud thumping noise and would wake me up in the morning. It was loud and irregular. The sound it made was like if you put your finger on the piece of skin just forward of the ear canal and push in and release. It makes a thumping sound. That is what I was hearing.
I finally figured out how to fix it today.
I was thinking it was caused by muscles around the ear and have tried acupressure on the muscles forward and below the ear. They were very tight but I got no relief. Today I tried inside the ear just aft of the ear canal.
There was a very tight muscle that felt as hard as a bone but with constant pressure for about 2 minutes it started to relax. And gone was the annoying thumping. I have continued to massage the muscle and have not had the thumping noise come back.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

I also get an irregular pounding sound in my ear. It comes nd goes randomly. After much research I found that it may be caused by iron deficiency. I do not have anemia but my iron occasionally get on the lower side of normal. I started taking iron supplements on a semi regular basis and the thumping has almost entirely stopped. If I go awhile without taking iron it tends to come back(probably because I am an unhealthy eater and not getting enough iron in my diet). The thumping can go on for days and within a few hours of taking iron supplements it goes away.

Thank you for mentioning an iron deficiency. I too get low on iron and I am so glad you mentioned something so simple! I thought I was losing my mind!

Hi
I have been suffering from this condition and it's terrible ,so today I was looking for answers and saw a post by someone who had seen an ear specialist in the uk who told then to take a mouthful of air hold their nose and then blow through the nose hard and then yawn,I was nearly going crazy and didn't think anything so simple could work .i did it anyway,had nothing to loose and fantastically I felt a pop in my ears and my nose started to run after with like water after I yawned .the relief was amazing and I think trapped water was amplifiying my heartbeat. I still have a faint sound in my ears but nothing as horrible and distracting ,I'd say 80%relief . The specialist had told this lady to repeat every day several times until drained .im amazed and happy and hope this may help you too x

on and off thumping sound in my right earu

thumping sound in my right ear on and.off

thanks! I did a light version of the take a breath, hold nose, blow into nose, cease holding nose, yawn, and THE THRUMMING STOPPED. I have the looney habit of sucking lightly on the left side of my mouth, and the thrummng started after I was doing that.

I've been suffering for several months and after following this advice I had a much needed peace and quiet in my right ear.Thank you!

I just tried the take a breath remedy and wow it works. I have the thumping in my right ear especially at night. Keeps me awake. And I also have tinnitus. I must continue doing this "simple" solution to an awful problem. Thanks!!

Tried rubbing Axe Brand Universal Oil around the ears before going to bed.
Also, avoid sleeping on that side. It worked. Feeling much relieved from that annoying thumps.

Ears popped, everything seemed to be clear. I do this method often. Ty. But thumping still there in my left ear only. Will keep trying... feels like fluid build up in my sinuses and ears... i have bad teeth and sinus problems, plus its winter weather here right now so i think the rapid moisture chamge in the air might be a culprit as well. Lol ty you though your description of this method is better than my old one. Ty.