Hi- I had been taking birth control (Alesse) for about 11 years. I stopped about 8 wks. ago, because my husband and I are ready to start a family. I haven't got the slightest hint of a period since, and I tested negative on 3 pregnancy tests. I realize it takes a while to get back to a regular cycle, but I'm nervous because I also know that a low body fat content could stop menstration. I'm pretty sure I need a period to get pregnant. I am 5'2 and weigh about 115lbs and pretty muscular. Should I continue to eat cake and ice cream every night to gain some fat? Or, should I give it some more time. I enjoy eating healthy, but would do what it takes to get a period.
thanks[/url]

As long as your diet is healthy, you should be o.k. It does take a while to become regular again, especially after so long on birth control. It is recommened that you contact a doctor if you don't have a spontaneous period within six month of finishing the pill. You could go to the doctor earlier if you want to hurry the process a bit

I'm in the same boat. 12 years on Ortho cyclin, 5'1" and 100lbs. I have been off the pill 9 weeks and no period yet. I already had my thyroid checked and it is within range (barely). The dr said to come back in 4 months if I don't get my period. What additional tests will the Dr. do? What is the best test to check if I am ovulating (I bought clear blue easy ovulation sticks last night) Is there anything I can do on my own to increase fertility?

Your BMI is 21. You are normal weight for your height. There is no reason for it to affect your menstruation, and no reason to binge.

I would just like to say that this forum helped me sooo much. When I expected my period and it didnt come, I got a little worried. So I found this message board and realized that so many people were in the same boat as me. After I stopped BC, my first period came regularly as scheduled, but the second one was a week late. I had the nasuea, sore nipples, a little bloating, and gas, which made me assume the worst. But I waited it out and my monthly friend finally stopped by. :-) I just wanted to post my experience so that others like me would hopefully find this and not worry like I did.

To the last poster, the one "Guest" from 10/10/09:

Please, can you tell me how long it took before your "monthly friend finally stopped by"? I, too, stopped the BC pill a few days before my expected period and that first period came. But now it is a couple days past the time I should have had my 2nd period, and I am so scared of the worst case scenario. Your comment has made me feel a little better, but I am still worried and wondering how long I should wait to see if it comes.

I am experiencing the same thing as the last post from guest. My first period after stopping the pill was 44 days late. Now I'm still waiting for my second period but am 43 days late. I assume I'm pregnant but am waiting to see if my period comes before I buy a pregnancy test. I have ALL sympotoms of pregnancy. My questions is does your cycle go back to normal after you get your first period once stopping BC? Or is your cycle going to be irregular for a long time?

I am currently in the same boat but I have been off BC for a month & and bit. I was taking Alesse for 2yrs and 2 months i felt cramping last week which normally occurs before my period. I don't know what to expect anymore period symptoms are playing around, does anyone know if that's a good thing because my body is trying to regulate itself? Help we really want to start a family so I hope all is going to be okay.