For as long as humans make babies parents have been exchanging ideas about how to increase their chances of having either a boy or a girl. Some cultures still favor boys, which puts a lot of pressure on future mothers to act to ensure a boy. Also, some mothers want to have a boy rather than a girl and will try all possible methods, usually based on superstition. Although there's no medical evidence that gender selection is actually possible, there are few methods based on scientific knowledge that apparently work if you want to conceive a boy.
Shettles Method should be your first choice. This method named by Dr. Landrum B. Shettles, one of the pioneers in infertility treatment and human conception outside the human body. Shettles method suggests few steps you should follow if you want to conceive a boy.
- Timing your intercourse is very important. The ideal time for intercourse is no earlier than 24 hours before ovulation to 12 hours after ovulation, only once on the day of ovulation. Intercourse closer to ovulation helps the faster but more fragile Y (boy) sperm.
- Chart your cervical mucus. Right before you ovulate, it should be very watery and very elastic, with consistency of raw egg white. The cervical mucus present at ovulation is alkaline enough to help the Y (boy) sperm reach the egg more quickly.
- Shettles also suggests doggy style position during the intercourse, as well as deep penetration, because both will deposit the sperm closer to the cervix, allowing the more aggressive and faster moving Y sperm to reach the egg first.
- Have an orgasm before your partner, because your orgasm would cause the cervical fluid to become even more alkaline and more hospitable to the boy sperm, which is faster.
- Eat salty food, plenty of red meat, fish and fresh fruit. Avoid milk and dairy products, as well as nuts, chocolate and wholemeal bread.
Your partner should also follow steps suggested by Dr. Shettles.
- He must not ejaculate during the 4 - 5 days before ovulation. This allows a higher sperm count to build up and Dr. Shettles associated a higher sperm count with more boy babies.
- Father should keep his testicles cool by wearing boxers and comfortable underwear. He should also avoid certain activities such as bicycling, scuba diving or using saunas and hot tubs while you re trying to conceive.
- If your partner is sick, you may want to delay your attempt because illness may temporarily reduce sperm count. Also, smoking, alcohol and drug use may reduce sperm count, as well as emotional stress.
- Your partner can have a couple of cups of coffee or soda fifteen minutes to half an hour before intercourse, because the caffeine would give both types of sperm a boost, but faster Y sperm would have an advantage.
Dr. Landrum Shettles claimed a 75% to 90% success rate for his method. Besides Shettles method, you might try Whelan method, which suggests having an intercourse early in the woman's monthly cycle to conceive a boy. This method worked 68 percent of the time. You may also check the Chinese Conception Chart to see if you are at the right lunar age and lunar month to conceive a boy. This Chinese chart was created more than 700 years ago and it s apparently 90 percent accurate.