I'm a 43 year old male who suffers from Moderate/Severe Chronic Pain. Most of my pain is in my low back, (Degenerative Disc Decease & Osteo Arthritis) but I also have Rumatoid Arthritis throughout most of my joints. After 2 back surgeries, 3 (R) shoulder surgeries, 1 (L) shoulder surgery, and an ACL repair to my (L) knee, I've been on a steady dose of pain meds since 1992. (From Vicoden, to Percocet, to Fentanyl, to MS Contin, to Methadone, in that order) I've actually been on the Methadone for the last 6 years.

Anyway, just yesterday my doctor switched me from Methadone (20mg 3x daily) to Oxycontin (40mg 3x daily) plus Oxycodone IR (as needed for B/T pain). Now, my doctor doesn't think I should experience any withdrawl symptoms,......but here's where I'm concerned: From what I've researched, Methadone is suppose to block (2) different pain receptors in the brain, where Oxycontin/Oxycodone only blocks (1). With that said, shouldn't there still be a certain amount of withdrawl symptoms that I'll experience as the Methadone dissipates from my body/brain?

Or, should the Oxycontin/Oxycodone combo help mask those symptoms? I realize in MOST cases, people usually go from Oxycontin to Methadone, but that's not the case here. So, if anyone with experience in this situation has knowledge of what I might expect, I'd be happy to hear your comments.

Thanks for the input,
Str8upChevy

Hi hon! As you already stated I was one of the ones that went from Oxy to Methadone - I have NEVER heard of the opposite actually! Can I ask where you live? The reason why I am asking that is when I HAD to go on Methadone, no regular clinic would touch me with a 10 foot pole, because the wanted me to be OFF the methadone not continue on it! So I had to go to an underground clinic! I am in Canada and that is the law here!

But anyways, I have a LOT of experience in this matter! So I will help you as much as I can OK? I was on ALL the ones you are on, I became Opiate Toxic due to the amount of drugs my previous "doctor" put me on - 300 perc's a month and 120 of the Contin!!!!! So after I got those out of my system, my doctor traded them for Tramacet! I am in a bit more pain than I was with Oxy, but I am not addicted to them as I was with Oxy! It is one heck of a drug for pain control, YET they are VERY addictive!!! More addictive than Methadone!

I didn't have any withdrawl symptoms from switching, my withdrawls is when I didn't take them every 2 hours!!!!!!! I would like to tell you something - and please don't be offended by this OK? - when you have been in pain like you and I have been, we are looking for TOTAL pain releif and so is our pain centre - the brain. So when we read certain things, we are kindof setting ourselves up to question the dosage! Your brain will allready be addicted to pain killers! And when you read something that might be perceived on the negative side - as that Oxy has 1 less pain blocker than Methadone, your addicted brain will take that and store it as fact! Does that make sense to you? Oxy is one of the BEST pain medications on the market, but like I said is HIGHLY addictive, but in your case and mine, we have no choice!

Last night I was in terrible pain all night, i had taken over my Tramacet doseage, but I didn't care, All I kept thinking about was asking the doctor to put me back on Oxy!!! That is how effective this is honey! I too have 24/7 intense pain, so I know all about this OK?! Your doctor is doing right by you, you sound like you have a VERY informed doctor and he has put you on the less addictive medicines 1st before putting you on the perc's this is FAR better than the opposite - that I was on! I was on one of the strongest Fentanyl patches - used for Cancer Patients, it was like wearing water! THAT's how powerful the Percs and Oxy was for me! I had ZERO pain on them! So don't worry about that OK! I looked at your dosage and as far as I'm concerned you should have zero withdrawls because he is covering the doseage! Your addicted brain really doesn't care about what you are taking as long as it is cessiated!!!

I am not a doctor honey, I'm just a person in pain and has gone through the addiction 1st hand, so I can tell you with 100% certainty, that you shouldn't have any withdrawl symptoms at all, and you just might feel better than you have in years!

I wish you health! Luck and being totally pain free, and withdrawl free!!!

yes your situation is backwards and i suffer from most of the problems both of you mentioned, except shoulder/acl problems... i was on oxycodone 30mg 120-180 qty; depending on time, after surgeries, when i was trying to work, be a 2-fam landlord and live a normal life and after my 2nd not-at-fault head-on collision work was impossible and I'm on disability, but going nuts not working! i'm 37 and have worked everyday of my life since age 13... I'm coming to terms to with it, but also about to move and have my first baby, a little girl April! And I want to be able to take care of her!!! (as any real father wishes/desires/wants/needs)... but i have a 5-10 permanent weight limit.. after my cervical fusion, i was promised a complex multi-level lumbar surgery and my well known well-respected surgeon kept dragging his feet... In the mean-time my PCP, whom handles most everything including my pain management reduced my OxyCodone 30's several months after my ACDF from 180 to 100 in 5-6 months... at first it wasn't too bad, but now i can barely make it.. the surgery was more than deserved, but only had a 10-30% success rate with a smaller % of decrease in pain; some form on Laminectomy, but a major one, i have many levels messed up and doing them all at once, my spinal cord has narrowed, so they have widen that, two disc's have ruptured so they have to 'suck' out all the broken pieces and bone spurs and try to use disc glue and hope the DDD & DDD w Myelopathy has not deteriorated them too much beyond repair and then break several discs (literally) in half to cut out the the nerves and such they are pinching... + a few other things... I also have Thoracic, Cervical, Hand/Finger problems AND SEVERE CRIPPLING HEADACHES.

I've been through all the same medications; i actually went from four (4) regular Vic 5's to a 50mcg/h Fentanyl Patch, which made me feel like a Junkie... I was puking and then going through withdrawal, it was horrible and my Doctor was reluctant to take me off of it.. Finally after 2-3yrs, especially summer <-> winter or visiting warm/sunny areas or cold winters; it can be hell; its works too good and then 30 minutes doesn't work at all and my two (2) Vic ES for Breakthrough Pain did NOT Help at all... #SAD

So finally after years (I've been dealing with this since my teens)... of complaining my PCP switched me to a somewhat new 'miracle' drug... "Opana" -The First Version that was out for 4-5yrs, then they re-formulated it (8) yes EIGHT Times and its total crapy, people c**p out the whole pills and i don't even keep you from going into withdrawl, all because of these stupid pill mills and abusers getting them cheaper than heroin and easier, for a while, now the crack-down, heroin is back on the rise and crush-proof pills don't really a difference... People like us don't get 'high' off our pain meds, abusers do, and honestly FUKK Them for ruining for it us! ---So for ER Pain My Doc and I decided to switch to Generic Oxymorophone HCI; generic Opana.. but only the 15MG and 40MG where available at the time and even though I was on 30MG, my Insurance would only allow 2 ER Tabs; whether it was 5MG or 200MG a Tab; STUPID POLICY... Nevertheless... So I was biting the bullet and struggling more and more everything as I got a few really crappy brands of my Oxy30Mg's; such as Qualitest, Corcet(sp?), KVK Tek (which is getting better), but i was used to Mallinkrot & Activis and THERE IS A DIFFERENCE! I have years of experience and comparisons to prove it.

So after being cut literally in half on my Roxy's, My 15MG ER OxyMorophone's are no longer working at all. In fact, they ran out of them one month (dates got off-set) and now I don't always have them both at the same time, and I'm going through withdrawal everyday I'm only on the 15MG ER OxyMorophone HCI's....

Lastly, I've talked to several Doc's and Pharmacists and friends/family in similar positions and they are recommending Methadone in place of the OxyMorophone... Several Reasons: It works better, its a better pain reliever over all, not as much UpsNdowns and misery, may soon be able to be a better daddy and more productive member of society... And also my Pharmacists that the special Obamacare Insurance I pay $350/mo only covers my PCP visits, this medicine and my Relpax (for severe headaches $100/capsule without insurance) but my Disability pays for everything else and also covers up to 30MG's of Methadone a day, but my Doctor (PCP & Family Med) didn't say whether I could keep getting my Roxy's.... I do worry about the addiction on Methadone, but h-e-l-l I'm already addicted OxyCodone after years and years of use and all the other meds and starting with Codeine for Headaches at age 7-8...

So, yes I'm worried about Bone Withdrawal of Methadone the most, but i beat Fentanyl on my own with four (4) Vic ES's; which is pretty good in my opinion... I know its opposite of yours and he is just trying to help wean/titrate you down, doesn't seem right, but he/she is doing what they think is right...

So being that the OxyMorophone is hard to get and my pharmacy special orders and now the Med Insurance I pay for (not my medicaid) cancelled all there contracts with Walgreens. So almost 20yrs into this and no true viable fix-it-all lumbar surgery in any site and have a baby soon and moving, even tho we got the appeal approved and the Surgeon HAS to do it (which also scarese me a bit), I need to do these things FIRST & FOREMOST Because they screwed up the date last November when we had it ALL approved and time out... SO I'M WONDERING... DO I DROP THE OXYMOROPHONE (GEN. OPANA 15MB 2x/day) & ASK MY DOCTOR FOR 3x10MG METHADONE TABS A DAY INSTEAD? It will save $300/mo and i think my pain will be much more manageable and I think at 30MG/day of Methadone it will NOT impact my Roxy's... I'm also hoping during our move and pregnancy my Doc will up my Roxy's to 120/month... Does this seem reasonable request? I'm in pain 24/7 non-stop and don't want my wifey or daughter to be able to see it in my face; i view it as a weakness, i know thats not right; just how i was raised and i hate all these pills... but theres no good surgery currently available for me... 4 very good we'll respected surgeons have said i'll submit and refer you but its too complicated for my 'precious' hands.... Plus the cost savings...

Which brings me to my last point... My Doc said she can prescribe 30MG or 40MG/Day or Methadone, but we didn't talk about my Oxycodone 30MG's...... WITH A FAM MED PCP, IN OHIO DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY CAN PRESCRIBE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME; as Breakthrough and Long-term management, like I have but take out the crappy over-priced 15MG Opana... The Original Opana's were a God-Send, I got 30Mg X2/day and 120 Roxy 30MG's and it was the most painless time in my life...

WHAT TO DO ??? ANY ADVICE??? I ALSO HAVE BEEN ON A CRAPLOAD OF MEDICATION & CAN HELP OUT, BUT PLZ LMK IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE... I KNOW I'M GONNA BE ON THIS AWHILE, BUT HOPEFULLY NOT THE REST OF MY LIFE.

***I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST, PAIN-FREE & HAPPY DAYS WITH SMILES TO COME - WE DESERVE IT****

SAD, DAZED & CONFUZED... NEED ADVICE.. TRADE OXYMOROPHONE 15MG ER -FOR- METHADONE 10MG TABLETS???
-ROXANNE-

Hi My name is Brian. I have done that switch both ways and found no sginificant withdrawls I would say more so with the oc to metha than the other way around. The breakthrough meds should balance things nicely for you and if it doesn't let your doc know.

To: Str8upChevy, if you are still up to date with this forum, I would like to ask you for an update on your detox from methadone??
I have a almost exact same situation as you, I have been off methadone for about 12 days and my pc dr. Is giving me oxycodone to help ease withdraws, it's only helps, in waves I feel ok then bad then ok, I can't get the correct dose and timing right, but I found your posting and it was so similar I just wanted to ask how you have been doing since your posting? Thanks.

You are wrong, methadone is 100x more addictive than oxy...it's a FACT. I am proof as well. I am dealing with it as we speak

Hello!! I know your Post was awhile ago, but I'd love to know how you are?? I have had Chronic Pain since '99. The first 4 years I tried almost everything, (under Dr's care). I finally ended up on Methadone and Boom!! Got my life back!! I have been on it for 13 years. At my highest was at 100 mgs a day. Then 2 years ago when the crack down on Pain Narcotics got worse and new Legislature was passed, my Dr. (Same Dr for 13 yrs) suggested we drop the dose to 80 mg to stay under the radar of DEA. Fine, no problem. A year later we dropped to 70 mg. No problem. About 7 months ago, my Doc who works under the umbrella of St Vincent Health, tells me they will no longer allow their Dr's to Prescribe Methadone. (We live in a rural small town in east central IN). So we titrated down to 30 mg over 4 months, then made the switch to Oxycontin 30 mg twice a day this month. With 10 mg Vicodin 4x a day for Breakthrough. These two weeks have been a Nightmare!!! One in a.m. did Nothing! By day 3 terrible Withdrawal. So ive ended up taking 3 a day of the Oxy, 2 in the am and one at night just to try to sleep. No Quality of Life, No Energy. Panic Attacks. I'm a Mess. I WANT MY METHADONE BACK. I just sent a msg to my Dr telling him about it...and the fact that I'll be OUT of the Oxy's over the wkend. Two weeks Early. No idea what he will do. I still have the Option of the Fenyynal Patches. Tried them years ago but couldn't keep them on, so never found out if they'd Work.... My Doc has called me his Model Pain Patient!! In 13 yrs I've never called Early, all Clean Drug Tests and have done Everything he's asked of me. So I'm Hoping that will go a long way during these problems. But even still, each switch is a New Prior Authorization for Medicaid. And also, the Pharmacies run out of all of it. Anyway, Please let me know how the Methadone worked out and how you're Enjoying Fatherhood!!!! Thanks

I'm sure this is old news but really appreciate it.im getting off methadone was up to 90 mg got down to 20 but have felt like wds all he time. Now I just went on 60 mg ms continn 2x a day and 5 10s of oxycodones not touching the wds head,legs all the c**p called the PA 4 days later going in tomorrow. Not even sure what to say or if she has a clue any help???

I know this is old but I wanted to ask about the Oxy to Methadone. My doctor wants to switch me and I am currently on 80 mg total per day of oxy. He wants to give me 40 mg methadone a day. And I’m terrified of withdrawal.