Hi. I suffer from neck pain and I was prescribed with OxyContin to relieve the pain. I hate pain meds, and any meds, really. OxyContin makes me feel dizzy and I sweat a lot. Is there somebody with experience who could tell me something about other pain meds? What to do?

Hi. Well, I wouldn`t take any pain med that gives me side effects. I don`t think feeling dizzy is normal after taking pain med. I was taking Hydrocodone to treat my headaches but not any more. Hydrocodone is habit forming and I don`t like to be addictive. I also like to drink and I have to avoid alcohol while taking Hydrocodone. It makes me pee all the time. I think I will try taking some other pain meds. They all have their`s side effects, but I can`t stand my headaches. The pain is really annoying.

Well I am a doctor and I can give you some suggestions. If OxyContin makes you feel dizzy and sweat, then hydrocodone will likely produce similar side effects since the two drugs are very close both chemically and pharmacologically. 

I think you should give tapentadol (Nucynta) is a powerful painkiller of the opioid class but it is not morphine-based or thebaine-based and so does not have the same side effect profile as true natural or semi-synthetic opiates do. In studies it has shown to be as effective as oxycodone, yet other studies have concluded that it is indeed more effective than oxycodone. In trials comparing it to morphine, tapentadol was less effective as a painkiller but it has a much lower incidence of side effects than both morphine and oxycodone. It's also less habit-forming. 

Another one you can give a try is levorphanol (Levo-Dromoran). This has a similar side effect profile to oxycodone, but it is a more effective painkiller and it is highly active orally. It can treat the most severe of pains. 

Another one is nalbuphine (Nubain). This is an agonist/antagonist, so a low addictive potential while still being a poweful painkiller. Side effects are milder than oxycodone, morphine and hydrocodone. 

Dihydrocodeine is another good one. It is stronger than codeine but slightly weaker than hydrocodone and oxycodone. However, it provides very good pain relief and has a slightly lower dependence liability and less severe side effects than hydrocodone and oxycodone.

Buprenorphine is another one which has great pain killing properties but comes with a lower incidence of side effects and dependence liability.

I am not a doctor but was recently put on Nucynta and I had very horrible bouts of hallucinations...... to the point that I did not know who I was and was locked in my car in a parking lot at 1:00 am. I used to like hydrocodone because it had an "upper" effect instead of the latharagic downer of MS Contin. However, it is definitely not as stroing and I got hooked very quickly needing more and more to feel any relief. I am now waiting on oxycodone but I cannot get it filled and I am tired of being treated like an addict. I really think it depends on each person and what other meds one takes, eats, etc........ I really feel the Nucynta is not safe until tested for longer......