Alright, here's the deal, I'm a 15 year old dude , 5' 8'', about 150 lbs, and pretty athletic. I've gone through most of the stages of puberty tons of armpit hair/pubes and whatnot. The problem is my voice is high, but not only is it high, its very quiet. So, in classes teachers often can't hear me, people make fun of me, and in sports i can not be heard. But like, it's not the normal going through puberty thing with cracking and all, it's something i have never heard another guy sound like. I get down on myself a lot for it, its just a bummer. I get sore throats easily and it's often quite an effort just to get words to come out. Any thoughts?

Hi Beast,

I replied to your other post.

Can you describe your voice. Besides being quiet and high, how does it sound? Does it sound nasally? It is rough?

There are some conditions that can affect your larynx. Please give as detailed a description as possible.

Thanks

It's definitely not nasaly, i'd say it's sorta how someones voice would sound if they lost their voice so somewhat rough, whispery, choked and cuts out a lot

Good, that helps.

How long has your voice been this way?

Have you been to a doctor for it? If so, what did they say?

It's been like this for at least 3 years, i dont remember it being a problem before that, but it might have still been a little odd even back then. And as for a doctor, i did ask just my general health doctor about it and she attributed it to puberty, but she didn't really like test,examine or look into it anymore, it was kinda just like a passing comment not the reason i was there

Hi beast,
If you are experiencing this only last three years, doctor should have given you a full check up on you vocal cords. When did you go to you doctor? If it was a long time ago them maybe you can go back and tell here that you still have this problem.

Hi Beast,

If it was just puberty it normally wouldn't last this long. Some things that it could be include, lesions, scars, and polyps. The real question is what caused these.

Do you get a lot of heartburn? The acids from your stomach would irritate the vocal cords.

Do you smoke? This would also irritate the vocal cords.

You should see your doctor again. If you can, get a referral to a laryngologist. This is their area of expertise. In order to properly diagnose this will require taking a look at your vocal cords. It's not that hard to see.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Alright, i'm going to try to get to the doctor sometime soon. I don't smoke no, never even tryed it, acid reflux is a possibility though. I don't have it very often, but on occasion. If it were to be some sort of irritation, do you know what the treatment for this would be?

I'm glad you don't smoke.

If it is an irritation you'd have to find the cause and resolve that. Acid reflux, in mild cases, would be treated with an antacid or dietary changes. It all depends on what they find.

If it's a polyp, they'd remove it. Scars and lesions would need to be evaluated as to cause and treatment. Your doctor will discuss their findings with you. I encourage you to ask lots of questions about what they find and how they treat it. Every individual is different so I can't give you one specific answer.

If you want, get a second opinion as well.

Keep us posted. We're here to help and if you have more questions let us know.

Good luck!