I used to listen a lot about problems with larynx. They keep telling us a lot about inflammation or cancer, but not as I would like to hear. I realized I do not know what larynx is. I want some basic info about this anatomic part of human body. I would appreciate this, because I am sure many people would like to hear this as well.

The larynx is also called the voice box, and it is a 2-inch-long, tube- shaped organ in the neck. People use the larynx when they breathe, talk, or swallow. The larynx is placed at the top of the windpipe, or trachea and its walls are made of cartilage. The large cartilage that forms the front of the larynx is sometimes called the Adam's apple, which you probably have heard before. Each time that person inhale, which means breathe in, air goes into nose or mouth, and then through the larynx. Furthermore, it goes down the trachea, and into our lungs. When we breathe, the vocal cords are relaxed, and air moves through the space between them without making any sound, but when we talk, the vocal cords tighten up and move closer together. Air from the lungs is forced between them and makes them vibrate, producing the sound of our voice, which is their most famous rule. The tongue, lips, and teeth form this sound into words that we hear, but larynx have bigger role in this process. The esophagus is just behind the trachea and the larynx and openings of the esophagus and the larynx are very close together in the throat.