Hi! I have tonsillitis and I need to go to surgery next Friday. Many people who also had tonsillectomy told me many different things. I heard that my voice will be changed. I'm worried now because I'm a member of one choir. I need to know how long I will have that difference in my voice after tonsillectomy. Thanks!

Don't worry! Your voice will be changed temporarily. I had tonsillectomy last year and I remember that funny voice. It was really funny. As I can remember, that change will last for first few weeks after surgery. You probably should not sing in your choir during that first month after surgery. Good luck!

It is scary, I know but my doctor explained to me that this usually happens because of some pockets on the side of the throat. If I understand him well back then, this happens because some white pus is accumulated on the throat and that is why your voice is changing. Definitely, from my own experience I can say that you sound different after tonsillectomy. My doctor told me about this, so I was not scared. It was also funny for me lol. It is because the upper airway is much larger and more resonant after the tonsils and adenoids are removed. But it will go away, don't worry. Try not to exert yourself. 

I just had a tonsillectomy a week ago, and I was the lucky one in one hundred who had severe bleeding around day 6 or 7. My scab fell off, and I lost about a quart of blood. It clotted on it's own, and it's fine now, but I will tell you that I was not able to talk AT ALL until this happened.

It was too painful in the sense that it put too much stress on my throat. If I did manage to squeak something out on a good day, my voice was very far back in my throat and sounded phlegmy.

Now that my scabs are gone my voice is back to normal.

I just had my tonsils and adnoids removed 8 days ago. Let me tell you, it's no picnic. Your voice will change if you are able to speak. But my word of advice to you is that when the doctors say it's important you drink, they are not kidding. A gallon a day is the average you should be drinking. It helps the scabs come off without bleeding and with less pain and your recovery to be quick. I however am still waiting on my voice to return to normal. I'm hoping the people above me are correct.

my vioce has change complety....and i cant sing any more :-(
guess i will never sing propal again without sounding like a stragled cat :'(

Hi There. I am curious if your voice ever came back to 'normal'. My son just had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy and his voice is.. so nasally and feminine! Of course I do not tell him this but the other kids do!!! I'm afraid he will not overcome the social affect it is having on him in school!!

The Dr. said it may return on it's own or reconstructive therapy and surgery are an option but, the poor boy doesn't need more surgery!!

my son had his tonsils and adenoids out on monday and he has a really high pitched voice bless him he sounds like hes been on helium

Hey I just wondered if his voice ever returned to normal. My 4yr old son had his tonsil/adenoids out 4 days ago. His voice is very muffled and distorted. It is so bad it almost sounds like he has a severe speech impediment. Im worried and saw your post, so I though I would message you and see what your experience had been. Please message me back as soon as you can. Thanks so much!

My son had his tonsils out and had the voice change. It lasted for several weeks to a month. He was very nasal sounding and had that same high pitched 'girly' sounding voice. He is 22 years old now and has a deep masculine voice. His voice returned to normal over time. My granddaughter also just had her tonsils and adenoids out. She is experiencing the same thing - very hard to understand and very high pitched. It will get better over time.I can already understand her better today than i could yesterday. Good luck and try not to worry. 

My name is Brandi,and I am 15 years old. I have been having tonsil problems for 2 years now. My tonsils swell up and get red,and I know its probaly as disturbing to you as it is to me but sometimes they have puss on them. I go to the doctor many times about it but he just gives me a prescription,and it works but then it comes back a few weeks later. And now its coming back more,so my mum has been giving me 2 pain pills in the moring followed by 2 at night. It gets so bad that I can't even talk,eat,drink,swollow,or open my mouth when I need to yawn,and I can't even move my tongue.:'(  I been eating popsicles also. And I have been researching about this because I'm curious..and I don't want to go ahead into surgery without knowing about it. Like some people,they just go get it done..I like to see people's views of after the surgery and so far,I read that people lose their singing voices..I can't sing so I have nothing against that. :-P   My mum has told me that its been happening too much,and she wants to see if we can get them removed before they get worse,and them getting worse is the last thing I need. So if anyone can tell me more about it or give me advise and some links to more information,I will be super happy.:-D

Hi 
this message is for Brandi?
I had my tonsils out nearly two weeks ago. I'm also 15 and I am singer so I was obviously very paranoid but beforehand I was having the same severe issues as you. The surgery itself was quick and I had strong pain medication, but after a couple of days it gets very very sore and hard to swallow. You live for your next painkiller dose. By day 7 I thought it would never end. I tried eating hard foods but it made my throat bleed a bit. Then the scabs came off. Because I had been drinking lots of lots of water every day they came off easily, but I lost 8lbs from eating very little. I started eating harder foods day 9-10 to get the scabs off and it didnt hurt as much, so I could actually eat things like scrambled eggs, pasta, and soups, it was great! I couldn't talk for the first few days, then I couldn't talk in the morning, and then I could talk but it was raspy and it hurts. Now my voice is back and I can even sing again but it's not recommendable, my throat is still sensitive to types of food and if I talk for too long it hurts as well. My pain medicine is still necessary, but not as much. Hope this helps :)

Josh Grobin had his out at 21.  Google the story.  I think much depends on exercise, like any other recovering muscle,  use your voice practice scales when you can.  Simple ups and downs.  Now this comes from someone who has just another 30 days till mine come out.  I am 40 and have loved to sing since a young age.  I am hoping this does not effect my ability to sing either, even if it is just driving in the car to and fro, instead of on bleachers.  Regardless they have to go! 

If you hear Taps playing softly as the sun begins to sink behind the trees some cool evening, then you know its me, burying the buggers in the backyard in a macaroni box where they belong.

o.O That is just what I am afraid of. I have had real bad problems with strep and so on and if I don't let them take my tonsils out I might get problems with my heart or whatever but I am a singer and I cannot live without my voice and I am so afraid that my voice might change because of the surgery that I refused to do it ..until now. I really gotta make a decision but it neither one way nor the other seems like a real solution :/ 

uh oh... i am a vocalist and am supposed to start auditioning for colleges soon. but i may have to get my tonsils out. im supposed to tell my doctor the next time i get throat problems so we can schedule a time to do it. my throat just started hurting and swelling up again yesterday... im considering not telling anybody if it means a severe change in my voice. i have a few months maybe... oh boy