i will be a month post op a partial thyroidectomy. my surgery went fine but my voice is still really hoarse. every one says i sound like myself,but hoarse. i can not yell. or get over a certain level. my dr said he did not hurt my vocal cord. he said my right side is just weak(the side i had the thyroid removed). has anyone experienced this and how long did it take?

I think that sounds a little unusual to be perfectly honest. I think that it might warrant a visit to another doctor just to be sure that the information that you're getting is consistent. Are you able to see another doctor about this? Let me know, okay?

well i am happy to say that my voice is pretty much back to normal. but now this past week i have been having the tightness in my throat and kind of a tingly feeling,light headed,. i went to my pcp doctor and the ran all the blood tests. so far everything is perfect. they said the tingly feeling might be low calcium. the nurse said tht the dr said anyone who has a thyroidectomy should give their bodies a few months to get back to normal. to me if all my lab is good would i still be having these issues? i just love how drs act like ur paraniod or its anxiety. the bad thing is i already sufferd from anxiety to begin with.but the lightheaded ness and other stuff seems off. anyways

I'd say that things should be going better for you and you should be feeling normal now but if you're not then it might be worth mentioning to your doctor just to make sure things are oay. Have oyu talked to your doctor?

o.O I am having a hemi-thyroidectomy next Thursday, the 24th o September. I am terrified ater reading all this stuff on hee. I am 46 years old, am already fighting the weight issue. Oh tell me this wont be so bad. I do not have cancer, I have a growth 4.1 cm that is bothersome. Doc chose to take out because it has doubled in size since 03. My thyroid levels are extremely low right now.... .06.....any advice or heads up you can give me would be great!

I had my right thyroid done1 yrs. ago and no problem with voice. I had my left one done 1-15-13 and was hoarse the next day. I couldn't scream loudly for help, as my voice has lost it's volume. Also, I have been singing since 7th grade (I'm now 79) and have lost my ability to sing and that really upsets me. I can't even sing the hymns in church. I will be going for my yearly physical in September and will ask my Internist about it then. It's upsetting and though the Dr. who did the surgery said they didn't touch my vocal cords, I think that statement is wrong.

took me 6 weeks to get my voice back - hang in there it'll come back!

I had Right Partial surgery 3 weeks ago.  Voice is still not back I am waiting!!!!  I thought it nearly came back 4 days ago but I then spoke too much and I went backwards.

Tomorrow will be three weeks since I had the right lobe of my thyroid removed. It was identified during the procedure that I have a nonrecurrent laryngeal nerve (NRLN) present in 0.3-0.8% of the population, resulting in its stretching. I've seen progress but remain very hoarse and unable to raise my voice. I'm getting a bit frustrated, because I had very little pain and the incision looks great, but I am unable to return to work as a result (I work with the elderly). My surgeon has given me encouragement and support, but..... growing impatient. Slightly down.