I'm a 29 year old male, and about a year or so ago I lost my voice. I've been having trouble with clearing my throat for a while. I didn't think to associate these issues with my acid reflux until I read a recent post. I drink a lot of water because I feel like I'm thirsty all the time! I drink about a gallon of water a day probably... Since I'm a bartender my voice is very important in my success. It feels like it might be getting worse too. My voice loss happened the day after I got over swine flu. I don't know if that is in any way associated or if it's just a coincidence. I just mentioned it just in case... I can still speak, but my voice is just really raspy, and it breaks up because of the mucus in my throat. Everyone I meet asks if I'm sick... I don't feel sick though. I just can't clear my throat, and I have a raspy voice... I need help! Please give me some answers!! I would really appreciate it!!

Hi there! I completely understand your concern. I doubt your voice loss could be associated with the swine flu, you got over it. Voice loss can be brought on by lesions, polyps or other damage to the vocal cords, more accurately known as vocal folds. But even a simple cold virus can lead to voice loss. I red somewhere that you should keep your throat and mucous membranes moist by staying well hydrated. Also caffeine and alcohol are dehydrating--avoid consumption of either. Avoid being around people who smoke (though it's going to be hard for you since you're a bartender). If you smoke, stop it. Tobacco fumes are irritation, and can worsen inflammation associated with voice loss. There are some home remedies I found: 1.One-half teaspoon of salt added to one cup of warm water provides temporary relief for losing your voice. Gargling several times a day will help with healing. 2.Garlic has powerful antibiotic effects. Allicin in garlic is shown to have an antimicrobial effect. Make a pot of garlic soup. Do not salt the soup. Use herbs for seasoning. 3.Make (or buy) ginger tea. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties. If you make your own tea, use fresh ginger root steeped in water for 30 minutes. Sip the tea throughout the day. Add honey to home-made ginger tea for extra help with losing your voice. 4.Boil water on the stove, pull the hood of your favorite sweatshirt or robe around your face, lean over and inhale the steam from a safe distance. Hopefully these informations will help you.

I also have the same problem, been to the ENT who does not see anything but put me on steroids I guess just for fun. Anyhow the steroids didn't work and I also rely on my voice at work. It has been very frustrating. Let me know if you found out anything as I see your post is pretty old and I am hoping you are better now and can share some advice

Did yor voice come back? I have the exact same thing.

I have had the same issue. I have been experiencing this for over a year now, and after seeing a nose, throat and ear specialist, Nothing has worked. He put me on antibiotics for over 6 months and said that I had an acid reflex problem that resulted to this. The antibiotics never helped, not even a little. So please, if anyone has any idea of what i could tell my doctor so that I can get to a resolution for this. I greatly depend on my voice for work, and my boyfriend of a little over a year has never heard my real voice... Anyone, PLEASE HELP

I lost my voice in 2010 for 10 weeks after a cold. Then in 2011 my voice disappeared suddenly and has never come back. I've had all sorts of tests which came to nothing apart from acid reflux but I have no symptoms of this. I rely on my voice for work and it's extremely frustrating. Someone told me today there can be a link between heart disease and voice loss but I'm pretty healthy other than having a weak, raspy voice.