Hi. I am looking for some advice, so if anyone has any, feel free to chime in. I suffer from asthma and I take regular medication for that. On top of this, I often get bad cold and bronchitis. The weird thing is that, whenever I show signs of a cold, my voice tends to go husky or I lose my voice altogether. What could be the reason for losing my voice so easily? And, is there anything I could do about it?

From your (perhaps too short to say anything meaningful) description, it sounds to me as if the phlegm is getting in the way of your vocal chords, causing you to lose your voice. Or alternatively, your colds are infecting your vocal chords as well. If you take antibiotics for bronchitis on a regular basis, I suggest you look into alternative healing methods, as your body might become immune to the antibiotics you are receiving. Talk to a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine, to see if they can mix you up some herbs for the problem. They may also be able to help you with herbs to strengthen your overall immune system, making it less likely to lose your voice.

Chinese herbs? I would have never thought of that, but thank you for your suggestion. Can you tell me more about this? How much will it cost to see a doctor of Chinese medicine, and what about the herbal mixtures that you are mentioning? I don't have lots of money to spare and Chinese herbs are definitely not covered by my insurance!