Please help me! I have been made to sing in my High School musical and I really don't want to. I know I can't sing and I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of my mates and parents. I can't just say I am not gonna do it, so I am looking for a way to lose my voice so I can't sing. I heard that screaming is a sure-fire way to lose your voice, but that it can potentially damage your vocal chords permanently. I don't want to do something THAT radical. So is there any way I can lose my voice without screaming? Thanks for any tips!

I'm glad you did a bit of research.
You are right that screaming really loudly can damage your voice permanently. Ask some of the most famous rock singers! Some of them have had to have operations to restore their vocal chords!
The only thing I can think of is to smoke lots of cigarettes right beforehand. That definitely makes your voice sound different.
Not that I am advising you to smoke, I am just saying that it's a possibility. And one package of cigarettes probably won't cause long term problems.

you shouldn't smoke ciggerrete!!!! my nan started smoking when she was 10 and now shes 86 coming on 87 and now sh has wicked cough she can't get rid of. plus my aunt smoked and then she had to go into hospital and then they thought she ha d lung cancer!! luckily she didn't. so don't smoke your putting alot of stuff at risk.