My biology teacher said in class that genetics are very important in the development of Multiple Sclerosis, which I guess means that it is hereditary? I had never heard of that before and my aunt suffers from Multiple Sclerosis. So do I need to be worried that I will get Multiple Sclerosis as well now?

No, I don't think you need to be worried about getting Multiple Sclerosis. In fact, Multiple Sclerosis is not considered to be a hereditary condition, though several genes have been found to increase the risk of a person getting Multiple Sclerosis. Immediate family members of people with Multiple Sclerosis do have a higher risk, but it does not extend beyond that.

Hello there hayden1188,

Unfortunately sometimes teachers are not careful enough when they are talking about hereditary conditions and most of the time students such as yourself are afraid to ask more details about the certain condition and in this case about MS.

There is no scientific evidence that MS is hereditary although there are some indications that the presence of certain genes can increase the risk of MS. That is it and you shouldn’t be afraid that you will get MS only because your aunt is suffering from this condition. Also don’t avoid her because of this but be supportive as you were till this moment. I know that it is hard to cope with sick person but they need our support.