I must admit that I really became frustrated and stressed out because of my father's condition. He has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and has been dealing with it more or less successfully. That -less- part is causing all the trouble. I would like to know if there is some hereditary risk for bipolar disorder. I would not like my kids to see their father in such a state, or get affected by that condition...

Well, there are several factors that contribute to the occurrence of behavioral disorder and they are usually related to the environmental factors (family issues, stress, social conditions etc) but there might be some factors in hereditary too. Then again, if you try to prevent any stressful events that could be the trigger, hereditary risk or not, your kids and you too should be fine. Maybe that will require some changes in your life.