I need some general info about MS medications. The thing is that my mom has recently been diagnosed with MS and is worrying now about eventual complications MS medications can provoke so I’d like to hear now are MS medications effective and how much are they used in MS treatment.

My mom also has MS and after being diagnosed she was prescribed avonex which belong to medications group called interferons. This class of medications has been approved since 1993 in reducing MS symptoms, those are in fact proteins messengers that are produced by immune system cells and are supposed to communicate between them. My mother escaped corticosteroids treatment which was frequently used as MS treatment until interferons are approved. Now their usage is very limited for their complicated side effects and today corticosteroid therapy is used only in cases of severe and sudden MS attacks. Anyway MS medications including all types of interferons- alpha, beta and gamma- are about to reduce the MS symptoms when it comes to MS attacks as well as to shorten the attacks duration, and interferons are also able to manage effectively viruses attacks and are about to slower or even stop further development of immune cells in which manner they regulate immune system. So I don’t know if your mom has started to consider the possibility of taking some alternative therapy such as immunotrax or kawalla alike it is important for her to be aware that this is serious and progressive disease that would pretty much soon affect her other organs making them very dysfunctional so my advice would be that despite all the possible side effects she decides taking MS medications prescribed by her medical doc. There’s just one thing I could advice her in case she start taking some MS medications that belong to interferons and in case she has problem with depression than it’s better that she combine it with antidepressant for the interferons are proved in some cases to cause depression, but this is something she should talk over with the doc first.