I am a 28 year old female scheduled for surgery this Monday. Just wondering if everyone loses weight after having their tonsils removed? I don't want to get too thin. How much weight on average is lost and how long until you can get it back? Thanks!!

I think this is totally subjective and each person is different, but most people will lose weight because most cannot tolerate eating for at least 5 days or so after surgery. For me personally, I could barely eat anything solid for about 11 days, so I lost about 15 pounds. After the 11th day I began eating softer solids, and now I am at day 17 or so, and I can eat whatever. On top of not eating, I lost my appetite as well, so even though I was hungry I didn't even want to eat anyway. I think the drugs contributed to that, though. After I started eating normally again, I gained most of it back very quickly (which suggests to me it is not so much fat you lose as water/fluids and so on). I am now about 5 pounds less than I was before my Op. My appetite is not 100% back either.