i recently gained alot of weight for no reason that i could find. my eating habits or nothing changed, then i had to have my gall bladder taken out about a week ago and i have lost 5 lbs. i heard that after you gall bladder is taken out then you loose weight. is there any truth to this?

I think the main reason someone will loose wait is you have to eat better ie none fatty foods. as well as you just had surgury and you aren't going to eat as much anyway. I know I have lost 6 or 7 lbs. in the fisrt week and a half.

Some people will naturally lose weight after their gallbladder removal surgery. A lot of this is to do with the physical recovery that comes after surgery, and with (hopefully!) changed eating habits after you have your gallbladder taken out. 

It's not automatic though! A lot of people will also gain weight after their gallbladder removal. Regular exercise and a very good gallbladder removal diet (avoid fatty foods and basically anything with too much sugar - junk food in a word) will help counter the effects of your changed metabolism, possible insulin resistance, and possible inflammation. If in doubt, always talk to your doctor.

Good luck!

it's always common to lose weight after any surgery. think about it, you're generally sleeping a lot and not doing much of anything (like eating), and additionally your body and it's tissues are recovering from a surgery. most of your calories/energy goes to recovery after anything as traumatic as that, same with being sick.
futhermore, your gall bladder aids in fat digestion, so yes if you insist on eating high fat foods, which you should not since your body is getting used to this change, you may tend to have diarrhea a lot if you eat high fat food.

in either case, 5 lbs really isnt all that much and it could just be water weight. i wouldnt start eating a lot expecting it not to do anything it will most probably quickly catch up with you.

there are more people gaining weight from the gall bladder being removed. the fact is, the gall bladder is a functioning organ and it breaks down fats and oils..

actually the gallbladder just stores the bile it does not create it. Once you have the surgery the bile goes directly into your intestines (instead of being stored in your gallbladder). I got mine out last month and I have lost 20lbs. I did not eat unhealthy to begin with so I didn't have to change my diet very much.

I had my gallbladder out five months ago and have steadily lost almost 20 pounds. I too ate pretty healthily before my surgery and haven't changed my diet much, although I do find that I can't eat as much in one sitting. Now I break up my lunches and dinners into a main meal and a couple of small snacks, which is healthier anyway.

I'm curious to know if you lost 20 lbs that you needed to lose or if you were already at a good weight? I was given the option of waiting for surgery, since I don't have stones. I'm just trying to postpone surgery, or maybe avoid it altogether. The timing right now is just not good for surgery, and I just had surgery 4 monghs ago. Uggh!

I've already lost about 7 lbs since I am eating almost no fat and only very small meals with snacks. I am a little overweight but now I'm afraid if I keep waiting to have surgery I may lose more weight than I'd like. Especially if I'm going to lose weight after surgery too!

Has anyone had problems becoming underweight from having gallbladder problems and surgery?

Don't postpone the surgery if you don't have to..I was in pain for months(agony)I have been pain free since the surgery. The only problem is I have Diarrea, Have not had a solid stool in a month.Much better than the pain though.No weight differance

Hi, I just had my gall bladder out on Thursday Sept 11, 2008. But, my friend had hers out 1 year ago and my mother-in-law 22 years ago.
They are both over-weight now. My friend never had trouble with weight before the surgery. My mother-in-law struggled her whole life - and 22 years without a gall bladder has not helped - maybe easier to gain weight from what she thinks.
I will be careful about what I eat - no need to think I am going to be different.

I had my surgery Oct.30,2008.I weight 175 .It is now Dec. 2 and I have lost over 45 lbs .I do not know why , I had over 55 stones ranging from golf ball size to little ones the size of pearls .But I had to have emergency surgery .I am 30 .I do not eat any thing differnt . I am a size 6 now ,I was scared over my weight loss it was extreme.But I eat the same just smaller now ,

I had my gallbladder removed over eight months ago and was at the time weighing before the operation 88KG, I am now at 84KG, so all in all I have lost over 4KG or 8 pounds, I try and eat very sensibly now and try and eat small and often but of course you do not always feel like eating all the time. About three weeks ago I was ill and had a period of vomiting which I could not explain, I think some of my bile came up as the vomiting was so bad and thankfully this only lasted a day, my first impressions was it was food poisoning but still I am not sure what it was.

I suffer from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and was recently diagnosed with a hiateul hernia, I have also been feeling stomach pains for the last week or so which is relieved later in the day so with all these problems I am finding it hard to maintain my weight and have started to feel less pressure to worry about it. So I think weight loss with gallbladder removal is very possible although for each person it is different.

My gallbladder came out 9/11/08 - but I had started a diet on 5/22/08 -
since May I am down 58 pounds (26 kg)

I started at 125 kg (277 pounds)

I am now at 99kg (219 pounds)

I am 5' 7" tall and have struggled with my weight for my whole life.

I have a thyroid issue that was just diagnosed, so the doctor put me on Synthroid 100 mcg. But have only been on it for 2 weeks, so I don't know if it is the right dose yet.

Since being on it, I did lose 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks - where before I started taking it, I averaged 1 - 2 pounds a week.

I guess thyroid function is a problem when trying to lose.

Thank you for your reply! Good luck with the hiatel hernia - gosh, and the IBS.

Thought I might have gotten a hiatel hernia after the gall bladder surgery, but it does feel better now, so, I was probably just sore after the surgery.

Hugs from America!

Carol

I had my gall bladder removed the first part of Oct. 08 and have lost 50 lbs. At first I was very happy but now and I am beginning to get worried. I eat just like I did before but now have to use the bathroom with in 20 mins. of eating. I have searched the web for answers but can not find any, it seems everyone is gaining weight from the surgery but me. If anyone knows a website with info. on this please let me know.

I had emergency gall bladder surgery July 31st (no symptoms before hand, just a quick dash to the ED resulting in imediate surgery). I had a hard time eating most things and even things I could eat, I could only eat a small amount before I felt full. I lost 20 lbs in a month.

I've now lost 45 lbs with very little effort and I've had a weight problem all my life. I am eating better and still not the volume I had before and I feel great. Not sure what about the surgery makes this so easy now but I'll take it!