can marijuana cause weight loss????

Not really, the way the THC in Marijuana works is to shut down the adrenal gland. That is the reason people get the munchies, and feel really relaxed after smoking it. On the other side drugs such as Methamphetamines (Ice, Glass, Meth) open the adrenal gland fully resulting in sleeplessness, loss of apetite, and restlessness.

I started smoking marijauana heavily (once or twice daily) about 3 months ago, I was a bit overweight at 237lbs, but I am now at 203lbs which according to my doctor is about my ideal weight for me. I haven't spent a second working out, just smokin weed and havin a good time. i love this plant.

Hi there, it's been a few months since youv'e started smoking, can you tell me how you're doing in terms of your weight now? How has it been for sustainable weight loss? Have you been able to keep the weight off or did it just take the pounds off temporarily? Let me know how you're doing, okay? Thanks!

Hi, thanks for your interest in my experiences. Right now I'm sitting steady at 199lbs. I took a 3 week break from smoking and the weight stayed off (ps. there was NO craving or withdrawl, I went from daily smoking for 7 months to just no smoking for 3 weeks straight no problem, no depression or anything, so I'd appreciate it if a moderator changed the forum title from "cannabis addiction" to "cannabis use", cause there is no addiction.) I have since started smoking daily again and have takin a big liking to very physical activities while stoned, probably due to my improved health, mainly basketball. We got a group of 6, we meet up every day, smoke 2 1gram blunts, and hoop for 2 or 3 hours straight. I've noticed I'm a bit more toned now but my weight hasn't changed since I started all the physical activity. All the sports and dirtbike/sportbike riding and sh*t I've been doing while stoned has left me VERY winded though due to smoking cigarettes. I have cut back heavily on cigarette smoking and I've already felt a difference in my breathing, how long it takes me to get winded, and how quickly I can catch my breath. I'm very happy about that one! The reason I suddenly picking up physical activity is because 1. I have a spinal disk degenerative disease, EXTREMLY PAINFUL, unless I'm high. Its damn near crippling. Thats my only complaint about that 3 weeks I went without smoking. 2. I broke my knee about 2 months ago and never got it treated due to lack of insurance, it has almost totally healed itself, except for it becomes painful when running/jumping/etc. Again, smoking pot cures this pain for me. Gettin high makes me feel like I can do anything, and I try to. Whoever said smokin pot makes you lazy is a liar, your own personal choice to sit around and do nothing while stoned is what makes you lazy.

Hi, thanks for your interest in my experiences. Right now I'm sitting steady at 199lbs.

I took a 3 week break from smoking and the weight stayed off (ps. there was NO craving or withdrawl, I went from daily smoking for 7 months to just no smoking for 3 weeks straight no problem, no depression or anything, so I'd appreciate it if a moderator changed the forum title from "cannabis addiction" to "cannabis use", cause there is no addiction.)

I have since started smoking daily again and have takin a big liking to very physical activities while stoned, probably due to my improved health, mainly basketball. We got a group of 6, we meet up every day, smoke 2 1gram blunts, and hoop for 2 or 3 hours straight. I've noticed I'm a bit more toned now but my weight hasn't changed since I started all the physical activity.

All the sports and dirtbike/sportbike riding and sh*t I've been doing while stoned has left me VERY winded though due to smoking cigarettes. I have cut back heavily on cigarette smoking and I've already felt a difference in my breathing, how long it takes me to get winded, and how quickly I can catch my breath. I'm very happy about that one!

The reason I suddenly picking up physical activity is because 1. I have a spinal disk degenerative disease, EXTREMLY PAINFUL, unless I'm high. Its damn near crippling. Thats my only complaint about that 3 weeks I went without smoking. 2. I broke my knee about 2 months ago and never got it treated due to lack of insurance, it has almost totally healed itself, except for it becomes painful when running/jumping/etc. Again, smoking pot cures this pain for me.

Gettin high makes me feel like I can do anything, and I try to. Whoever said smokin pot makes you lazy is a liar, your own personal choice to sit around and do nothing while stoned is what makes you lazy.

Well, realize that marijuana affects people in different ways. I can tell you that it makes some people lazy but you sound like it helps you out because it sounds like taking marijuana helps you because it helps with your spinal disk issues. When used as a pain treatment issue I think it really helps. I'm glad to hear that you're doing okay though. Thanks for your update!

breebree, I forgot to ask you an important question: how long have you been dealing with your spine issues? When were you first diagnosed? Does marijuana help with that beyond being active?

well i in the past have done alot of walking and smoking and lost alot of weight so it works if you dont go muchie crazy, smoke an excessive amount (1 bowl or 3 joints in a day), keep hydrated!, and do simple exercize like smoke then walk to the store to get munchies or a powerade im tryin this again as now im trying to go into the service

aRachelAnne wrote:

It can DEFINATELY cause weight loss. Especially if you are smoking enough. In my family their are 5 kids and we all have had problems with addiction to cannabis. And I have watched my siblings use TONS of weight. even myself. And it is not a 'healthy' skinny. YES...it does!

This is true,  i have experienced the same thiing. Being 120lbs when i started.
and dropping to about 92lbs.  It's been about 4 years or so.
and still only weight 98lbs. The same thing happend to my sister , although she gained the weight back after a year or so.

At age 15 I was 115 kgs at age 22 I was 146kgs at 23 I started smoking weed in 6 months I lost 36 kgs I quit weed as I moved state and had no supply I ballooned to 165kgs. I stayed that way for a few years untill last year I took it up again and now lost another 52kg and I ain't quitting till its all gone . I definatly agree that weed causes weight loss

I started smoking in the middle of a huge bout of depression that made me gain a lot of weight because I would eat even when I wasn't hungry. I never had the energy to exercise or cared about what went on around me. After I smoked, I felt peaceful and appreciative of my surroundings. I found that I couldn't stomach fast food more than once a week anymore, and even then I hated it when I bought it. I think that smoking made fast food unpalatable to me, and I'm healthier now than I've ever been in my life.

Before I started smoking weed, I weighed 148lbs. I started smoking weed the summer of 2011 and have been smoking it ever since. The longest I have gone without smoking is 3 days at the most. I went to the doctor for a check up Nov.1, 2011 and I weighed in at 155. I recently went back to the doctor Feb.24, 2012 I weighed in again at 155. Thats 3 whole month w/o weight gain! I dont ask any questions, I just keep on burning!

My wife and I started using cannabis daily about 2 years ago. I had smoked as a teen, just to get high, but had given it up years ago, as life progressed. (We are 40 now). We got our recommendations from doctors for this, I for back pain, and her for migraines. (It actually works amazingly well for both of those)
 I weighed 200lbs as of Nov 2010. I am now a fit 165, with the High School 6-pack stomach I hadn't seen in 20 years. My wife has lost almost 40 lbs as well. We eat sensible portions, of reasonably healthy food (Still do burgers and pizzas from time to time), and get light exercise (walking). I am even a daily 4-6 beer drinker!
 I cannot explain the pharmacology of it, and, since it is still a schedule 1 drug, there are very few good studies of what may turn out to be a very beneficial plant.
 Two people is by no means a viable database, but our personal experience has been a big "Yes" to the question of Cannabis helping regulate weight.
 On the other side of the coin, a close relative has end stage cancer, and she enjoys not only significant pain relief from using cannabis, but also has had a marked increase in her appetite, and enjoyment of food. For a woman wasting away with cancer, it is a close to a "Miracle drug" as I have ever seen.
 The only negative effects I have seen for us, is a little bit of short tempered "snappiness", before we use Cannabis on any given day. (We don't use it all day, just in the evenings). Time will tell, but I have had FAR worse side effects brought on by FDA approved medications.
 Final word of advice. Please get a good vaporizer. Save your lungs. I also discovered that vaporizers give me better dosage control (It's not 1987 anymore, I personally don't like to get totally annihilated), and better relief of my back pain than smoking. Again, I can't tell you why, I just know it works for me.

Weight Loss? Depends. 

Heres my personal examination...If you are already obese and really been like that your whole life...then smoking is going to make you gain even more weight usually because your metabolism is slow naturally.

If you've been relatively thin your whole life and smoke a ton then usually your going to lose a decent amount of weight.
I am 5'9 160 or so a large part of my sober life...have an extremely fast metabolism normally and being a big smoker I am at 140lbs roughly now and CANT GAIN a lb. Mary Jane does something to your hormones no doubt. I actually did an eating experiment of trying to bulk up, eating EVERYTHING.  The result was VERY minimum results because my metabolism is through the roof. Soon as I wake up in mourning and go to the bathroom, it was like I never even ate anything. 

So it can help or not help your weight. Like some of you said ,you used to be like 230 and droped to a healthy 199 or from 200 to a healthy 165. But for me personally, I am a amateur mixed martial arts and I absolutely cant smoke anymore because I STRUGGLE to keep weight on.