I had a tonsillectomy about 2 days ago and for the most part ive just eaten some ice cream and some mac and cheese. i have also been a smoker for about 2 and a hald years and im taking this oppurtuniy to finally quit. However i am nervous about the weight loss because i am 19 years old and i only weight 125 pounds. I was wondering if it was possible to mix weight gainer with ice cream possibly and how long will it take for my appetite to curve now that i have quit smoking. if someone could get back to me with any suggestions it would be great.

i have not lost a single pound.. drink lots of gatorade, caramal apples, tuna, i dont know... just didnt lose any weight. i kinda wish i had since i am like 5 lbs overweight, but becoz of all the meds i figured i should focus on eating healthy and not losing weight. hope you are ok now~! :-)

i am having a tonsillectomy on Monday but the problem is i'm breastfeeding. i don't know if this will affect my milk production. my baby is 5mos so what do i do about pain pills passing through the milk and not being able to eat to make milk. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would call my pediatrician about the breastfeeding. I imagine it would be similar to what moms who have had c-sections experience...tired babies. But I would be very nervous about the effects of narcotics on your baby. Any type of stress or trama can effect your milk production. Is your tonsillectomy a "must" at this point in time or do you have the option to wait a few more months?

Also, I had to switch to formula with my first daughter due to medication. She is a thriving and very healthy child. (Not to mention smart and beautiful.)No food allergies or any of the things I was nervous about in switching to fomula. If push comes to shove just know your baby has options. I'll be praying for you!

I am having my tonsillectomy on the 19th and I am FREAKING OUT! (Thanks to this site!). It is sad when a 30-something wife and mother cries like a baby each night out of fear. At this point I wish I could back out...but it's not a choice for me. They have to come out. I have never been more scared in my life. Praying like crazy!!!!

I just had a tonsillectomy on 9/3/08.. and I understand why you are so nervous!! I'm 21 and had no choice.. either get 'em out or suffer the rest of my life.. which greatly interferes with my lifestyle because I'm a singer. The first 2 days were very tolerable.. but don't let it trick you..because I was almost mislead! I'll admit that 4-6 were absolutely awful.. but it gets better, you'll get through it! There were a couple times when I would wish I had never gone through with it, but I know that in the long run it's all for the better. Drink as much as possible, it's so important to stay hydrated.. chilled water has been the best for me, other things such as gatorade seemed to dry my mouth or sting just a little. Fruit smoothies are a good idea.... just fruit (peaches, pears..) and crushed ice.. no yogurt.. it's too thick. I ended up getting sick from the codeine (which is not pleasant), and reg. Tylenol in liquid form messed with my stomach.. so I have been crushing extra strength Tylenol and taking it in sherbet or Italian ice.. I highly recommend sherbert and Italian ice.. it's not as thick as ice cream!! Jello is also good.. esp. frozen. They also say it's important to eat what you can that's normal, because it actually helps the throat to heal faster. I'm on day 8 and generally feeling good, but my scabs are still coming off so my throat feels very raw at times. Do you know what kind of procedure they will be doing? I had coblation done, rather than electrocautery.. and for sure the coblation provides a faster and less painless (but still terribly unpleasant and rather painful) recovery.. because it doesn't involve burning at high temperatures. I had a friend that was in severe pain for 2 and a half weeks after hers were taken out with electrocautery.. and i'm hoping that at my two week check up i'll be almost back to normal. Don't be scared.. just think about how much better you will feel the rest of your life! Yes, it's painful but the days will go by and you'll get through it and heal.. i wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!!! :-)

I am and I just got my tonsils taken out Tuesday October the th, and This would make day 6, and i am not happy at all. I can not eat anything, the pain is excrutiating at every pointe.Popsicles dont seem to help at all. I truly regret getting mine taken out. I have been taking Loratab every three hours and it only seems to put me to sleep at times adn the darvocet take minimal pain away. :-S I have the worst taste in my mouth, i wake up choking, and I can't do many of the things that I used to like, Play with my two kids, and laugh and eat. I weighed 251 when i went in for the procedure, and today on the scale it said 234.5 and i understand that there is a difference in the scale at home and the one at the hospital, but not that dramatic of a difference. While i don't mind the weight lose at all, but my goodness id ike to eat something. Please if you are considering this prcedure, PLEASE THINK TWICE. :-S :-S :-S :-S

I had my tonsillectomy along with an adenoid removal done on the 20th of November. Just a week before Thanksgiving. I'm only 17 and this surgery was a decision made solely by my parents to "better my life". It has been the worst week of my life. Waking up in recovery crying from the pain, i was wheeled out of the recovery room and given a bag because of how nauseas i was. As soon as i walked in my room, or should i say carried by my father, i had to throw up, and sure enough i used the bag. I just remember crying and squeezing my mother's hand because of how bad it hurt. I was given my dose of Zamicet and fell asleep quickly. Day two of recovery was awful, i was crying because it hurt so bad. I didn't eat anything because i didn't have an appetite. The Zamicet made me very sleepy(but wouldn't let me go to sleep) and nauseas so i had to take another medication which put me to sleep for six hours straight. I had my first "meal" on day three which was like the smallest serving of strawberry ice cream. I couldn't sleep at night, i would wake up choking on phlegm or coughing. I had mucus that i coughed up for a while, im not sure why? I avoided swallowing by spitting my excess spit into tissues. Day five i woke up feelin great. I didn't take my pain medication(stupid move) and i got out of the house(stupider move) i was everywhere visiting friends when i should of been resting. Well sure enough i paid for it Tuesday. I woke up in the worst pain ever, i got so nauseas that i couldn't move. I didn't leave my bed Tuesday or Wednesday. Then came Thanksgiving, and after being heavily doped up to stand the pain and the relatives, i spent dinner crying at the table because anything i tried to eat hurt so bad. Its now day 12, and my scabs have been falling off for about three days now. It feels like a sharp popcorn kernel is stuck in my throat whenever my scabs rip off and i swallow them(gross). I HATE cold water now, and im an advocate for the use of staws.
It was a horrible week, but im glad im almost done recovering

be well

I was wondering....after you were completely healed.... what was your total weight loss? I'm getting mine out wednesday. I'm a bit nervous. However I would like to lose weight :p But yeah. just curious. thanks.

I am actually pretty curious myself. It looks like the weight loss was about 20 lb. but I have to wonder how permanent that is since most of the weight loss was caused by semi-starvation methods. Is that what you're interested in knowing?

I'm finishing up day 7 and I've lost 13 pounds. Gone from 125-112. Honestly didn't think that was even possible for someone my size, but I guess it is.

Hi, I am on Day 10 today, and I went from 128 to 120 so far. Soo 8 lbs in 10 days. Still cant eat too much. l've Been eating a lot of pudding, applesauce and ice cream. But definitely not enough calories in a day to gain any weight. Hope that answers your question! :-)

I am week three now, and have lost 8kg and counting. This is because my sence of taste has been damaged, everthing tastes horrid, I'm a huge foodie and am heartbroken. I was wondering if anyone had stitches, how long did they take to dissolve? I'm gagging on mine they are so long. I kinda think 3 weeks is a long time???? I'm in Australia, and my health insurance doesn't cover this op. If I go back to my specialist I'll be bill $150!! Would appreciate any feedback?? :-(

I guess now I'm technically on day four, which was supposed to be the roughest. So far my most irritating complaints are the inability to eat (which is necessary while on narcotics), the inability to talk, pain coughing up mucus that collects in the throat, and the itching from the narcotics. The pain really isn't that terrible if I'm not trying to cough, eat, or speak. I am on a decongestant to try to help keep the mucus to a minimum, and I feel like it has helped some. It's a difficult balance here. You need to eat enough to be able to take pain meds without nausea, and you need to take enough pain meds to be able to eat. You need to keep your throat hydrated, but dry the mucus out... Oh well. Four more days on the couch, I think I'll make it.

I'd like to put a positive message here because all of the posts online tell about how terrible a tonsillectomy is.

I got my tonsils out 6 days ago so, according to my surgeon and the doctor, this is as bad as it is going to get. I woke up after surgery and was speaking to the nurses in recovery. I drank water as soon as I got back to the ward and was taken off the drip half an hour later. That night I ate potato, puls cake with custard and ice cream. Since then I have been eating pizza, fish, fries, toast... albeit in very small quantities. (Mostly though I only eat soft foods and will admit that im becoming tired with custard and yoghurt lol)

I'm not saying there is no pain. However, in this day and age the pain killers prescribed are very powerful. Provided that I time when to take my meds so that their effects dont wear off, I have minimal problems eating, drinking and talking. It's definately no worse than having a bad bout of tonsillitis. Plus, i'm 29 so it's not a case that surgery is easier on you when you're young ;-) I have managed to maintain my weight (the only negative).

I dont dispute that some people have a harder time of it than me. However, generally speaking, a tonsillectomy is nothing more than a minor procedure which effects the majority of people in a minimal way. Please do not let scare stories influence your decision to have surgery or not. If you're doctor didn't think it was necessary, they would not be recommending it.

Good luck everyone :-D

im a 45 yearold female and i had my tonsils out 7 months ago. im still suffering with dry throat,hoarseness,and no taste, food is still difficult to get down the throat i have to chase it with lots of fluids so it doesn't get stuck.so far i have lost over 30 lbs and still losing is this normal (i think not)