When my daughter was 2 1/2 she had her tonsils taken out and tubes put in her ears. When she came out of surgery her body was covered in broken blood vessels, she had bruises for 3 weeks after. We were told the surgery went well. By the time she had turned three she had gained 10 lbs, and at 6 1/2 years old she weighs 90 lbs. She also has major constipation issues which we have been addressing since the surgery. Her diet is a very healthy one loaded with fiber, we have been to many doctors and specialists. Most start out by saying it has to be her diet and do not listen to anything I say. I am wondering if there can be any relation to having her tonsils out and weight gain.

before my operation i was very skinny, after i ate same foods n suddenly gained weight, i had a belly.
before, wotever i ate i didnt gain wight now its a different story.

my son had his tonsils out on july 31st and since then he has gained about 15 pounds!!! He has always been a good eater but now its just crazy how he is gaining. i keep asking drs and they act like i am crazy but he was always skinny before that surgery. i wonder if there is a connection between tonsillectomies and the thyroid? maybe they hit it and it throws it out of whack after surgery?

My son had his tonsils removed when he was 4, he had been a big kid until that point, but after the tonsils came out, he started to really pack on the pounds. He is now 9 yrs old and 110 lbs. I just started researching the subject. Please post something if you find a relation... The docs we have been to state his weight is not that bad yet... the school sends home letters pertaining to his BMI. He really doesn't eat too much and he seems to get adequate exercise...
I'm frustrated.
good to know there are others similar to my situation.

I am wondering if the weight gain is because now ur eating ability is majorly diff than it used to be, there for now u can swallow larger amounts as to the smaller impacted amounts u were prossessing before.

OMG!! I can't believe I found some people with the same issues!! I was always a thin active child and once I recived my toncillectomy I gained so much weight and even the most rigerous diet and exercise wouldn't help. None of the Dr.'s that I would talk to would help. They all thought I was crazy and that it was my fault and I was just being lazy, well if there is a relation to this and anyone knows please contact me at _[removed]_ because this has practically ruined my life and should not ruin anyone elses!!! I know my body and I know there is some sort of correlation with this. Please if anyone knows anything, let me know. Thanks!!

My sons Step mom is an R.N. she told me that her brother had gained alot of weight after his tonsilectomy as I had _I was 6yrs. My husband was the same way he was 6, and my son was 2.5 and he is the same way also. Her brother was diagnosed with "thyroid disease" and they found out that DURING his tonsilectomy they "knicked" his thyroid-COULD THIS BE WHY??? My nephew was 3 when his was removed, and he did not gain any weight, and he had his done 2wks before my son????? I wonder???

OMG for me as well!! I thought I was crazy as well. My daughter was 6 last sept when she had her tonsils out. She has since gained so much weight !! She was totally average size with a very small waist. She now has a belly. It is so upsetting. She has already been told at school, she got "fat". It's really traumatizing to her. I don't know what to do.

Thank God I am not going crazy. My daughter had a tonsilectomy at age 6. She is now 7 1/2 and has gained a huge amount of weight. She was completely normal before this. She doesn't eat a huge amount and she is active. I felt like I was doing something wrong. I just couldn't understand it. Does anyone know anything that can help.

My son had his tonsils out last October, before his surgery he always wore a slim in everything. Now a year later he has gained 30lbs and wears husky! Before the surgery he was always skinny, pale with dark circles under his eyes, but now he is definetly healthy in more ways than one. Our Doctor told us that when your tonsil are diseased they poison your body in way. Instead of them working properly by ridding your body of bacteria they hold onto it. Your tonsils can be a carrier for strep. However, I was told that it is typically for people to gain about 10lbs after the surgery. I just think of it as if you feel crapy all the time you don't want to eat, you feel good you eat.

I am glad i discovered this website. I had a tonsillectomy when i was 15 and after the operation i noticed the following:
* 2 months after the operation i started having shoulder pain (it was later diagnosed as a form of spondylosis).
* 3 months after the operation i started gaining weight so much that friends would ask whether i was carrying weight at the gym or taking some body building drugs.
* Sluggish walking feeling which i must attribute to the weight gain.

My relief knows no bond, because all my attempt to put an argument with the surgeon was flatly rejected. he stated there was not correlation. Please what could be the remote cause of this weight gain, and could a massive and sudden weight gain not trigger some adverse reaction within the body system for some individuals.

And if there are possible side effects no matter how little are the Surgeons not bond to tell the parents?

i had my tonsils out about 6 months ago and iv gained well over 50 lbs and still havnt stopped. i was skinny b4 but now i hav a strong solid build

I think it is related. I had my tonsil removed when I was 5 (28 years ago) and I started to gain weight fast. All the diet I did failed. I am now an obease 33 years old. My son will have his remove on Jan 6, 2008 and I am so scare he will end up like me. He is 4 years old and super skinny (35 lbs). I might call the ENT again Monday to see what he knows about this.

I heard a doctor talk about her own experience gaining weight after a tonsillectomy. It happened to me when my tonsils were removed at about age 9. I lost a lot of energy and began gaining weight. I also have very cold hands now in my 50's. Last time I had my thyroid checked, the function was supposedly within normal limits, but on the low borderline. It has been a few years since I have checked it, but my hands were already very cold then.

The fatigue has affected my ability to function and that and the weight battles have caused depression. My husband is very energetic and used to backpack with a group of friends when younger and these people were all very high energy and none had had their tonsils removed.

Reading the article link above, I think the medical profession is reconsidering the factory style removal of tonsils. There is some speculation that the blood supply to the the thyroid is compromised in many of the surgeries.

I don't know how to combat the fatigue and that has frustrated me during my entire life. It interferes with accomplishing goals and earning money. I can manage my weight through diet and exercise, though. I have to be very careful.

It is amazing that I found this site - I, too, have been struggling with weight issues since I had my tonsils removed at age 5. I was a skinny, frail child who was always sick, hence the tonsil removal. I immediately "blossomed", and was always a fat child. In adulthood I dieted a few times down to a 'normal' weight, but always gained the weight back. I am now 50 and am still struggling with weight issues.

My daughter, who is 23, was also always a thin girl. She had her tonsils removed at age 19 and almost immediately gained 50 pounds. She is making efforts at losing the weight, but it is difficult. Oh, by the way - we both suffer from hypothyroidism, as well.

I have spent years trying to find some correlation, and I do believe it exists. Of course, trying to get a doctor to agree with that belief is like trying to teach a pig to sing. Even though I know it may never be proven, I feel some vindication knowing there are others out there like me (and my daughter), and knowing that my weight problem is not entirely my fault.

Thank you!