I am 52 and I have a bad headaches. Doctors diagnosed my problem as “cluster headaches”. During the years I used Verapamil and Topomax medications to prevent my headaches, because they used to appear periodically. Verapamil was useful for a while, but soon I had to start taking Topomax, because Topomax was stronger and more helpful. Topomax was very good in prevention cluster headaches, but reticently I noticed that Topomax is not efficient as It used to be. I would like to hear your opinion about my problem? Do you suggest me to start using another medicament?

Topomax is known as a medicament which helps in prevention cluster headaches more then all other medicaments. So, it is not strange that doctors insisted on it. If it wasn’t efficient like before, there are two possible explanations. It might be that you headaches are stronger, which might have a connection with you reaching a climax (in that case, you need to consult gynecologist for the further therapy). The second option is that your cluster headaches need to be treated with medicaments that stop it like Imitrex, Cafergot or Intranasal licodaine. Pure oxygen helps as well. Considering this, the best advice for you is- do consult your doctor!