Can tramadol show positive on opiate test? I’m looking for a qualified answer for I am worried about my sports career which is strictly monitored, and I had a minor surgery not a week ago. People disagree on this issue and I do not know what to do about it?

Tramadol is an opioid, i.e., a synthetic product that has psychoactive effects through its actions on opiate receptors. Chemical structure of tramadol differs significantly from that of morphine but is a synthetic version of codeine and will show a positive on a drug abuse screening, so you should show them the prescription.

THEY HAVE TO SPECIFICALLY CHECK FOR SYNTHETICS LIKE METHADONE AND TRAMADOL>>>>>>>ON A STANDARD 5 PANEL TEST IT WILL NOT SHOW UP

My husband and I both recently tested positive for methadone and were denied our normal pain meds, lorcet, until a blood test comes back...there is no way in hell that either of us take methadone, but we do take ultram from time to time....we were baffled until I saw these answers....I guess it's the ultram-the interesting thing is, both of us separately told the same doctor that we took ultram and he said that couldn't be it.

So I looked up my question of whether or not tramadol will show up as an opiate on a urine test. The results say that it will not show up as an opiate. But the paragraph I just read on this website says that it will show up positive as an opiate on a drug screening test. So should I believe it will show up as an opiate on a drug screening test for court
?

Do you happen to know if the courts use a standard 5 panel test? Or not

Tramadol is not a synthetic version of codeine it is an entirely different drug. Also it will not show up on a standard opioid test because those tests work because heroin is metabolized into morphine, codeine is metabolized into morphine, and morphine is obviously morphine so it really only tests for morphine which tramadol is not metabolized into. Oxycodone is interesting though, although it is metabolized into oxymorphone not morphine because it has a very similar structure to morphine it can sometimes cause a false positive.

But tramadol requires specific testing for o-desmethyltramadil