Hi, I had some strange symptoms like mild abdominal cramps, so I went to doctor. He examined me, and said that I have diverticular disease. I’m not sure about that. Could he misdiagnose IBS?

Hi, diverticula are pouches in the colon and they bulge outward through weak spots. There are several tests for diagnosing diverticular disease, such as digital rectal exam, stool analysis, blood test and physical exam. There is a small possibility that your doctor misdiagnosed IBS, but if you’re suspicious, you can always visit another doctor. Beside diverticular disease, many other conditions can be possible alternative diagnoses for Irritable bowel syndrome. For example, IBS can be misdiagnosed for digestive disease, Chron’s disease, ulcerative colitis, bowel cancer and colon polyps. Mild abdominal cramps could be a sign of diverticular disease, but they can also indicate IBS. Most common types of IBS are diarrhea and constipation, and they can also cause abdominal cramps. However, I think you would know if you had diarrhea or constipation.