I had urethral trauma recently. I can not empty my bladder and doctor said that I need surprapubic catheter. Doctor is going to insert my first suprapubic catheter tomorrow. I was wondering how often catheter needs changing?

As I know the first catheter change is usually after 4-6 weeks. After that it can vary from 4-12 weeks. But be sure that you are always having spare suprapubic catheter at home, because if the catheter comes out it must be replaced within a short time, like 15 minutes otherwise the opening will close. If you have been taught how to re-insert catheter otherwise ask for help from your doctor or a nurse.

Hi I have had a suprs pubic catheter for six months.I have dispensed with leg bags and I am using a flip flow valve which I empty (just like a penis) when I feel I want to go tothe toilet-usually about 400mls. I wake up in the night and empty my catheter a couple of times too into clean milk bottles which my carer empties in the morning.
However I do have a problem. I keep getting proud flesh growing round the insertion point and constant puss like discharge as a result. I have had these proud flesh growths burnt off by the doctor for several weeks with silver nitrate but the hole just keeps getting bigger and the puss and proud flesh keeps growing. I do not have an infection. ANy help with how to combat this problem would be appreciated.I can't help wondering what growths are going on my bladder too.

can you take baths with a cathater?

oh I have had my SP for a year, the growth is NORMAL. Your body just thinks the hole is a wound it has to heal

Hope that helps

hi and i had my penndicks taken out and 2 day after i couldnt wee so put a cather inside bladder and i was geting UTI all time and i have had kidney infection and cepsema and now i have pyelonephritis 2 time again so now i have a suprapubic cather in and i have belly bag frm kelly

I am a 72 yr old woman and have had a supa pubic catheter fitted 2 yrs ago, use to use a single use catheter up until then but could no longer use due to arthritic fingers. Since I've had this supa pubic catheter, I've had nothing but trouble, numerous water infections, have used the silver nitrate which worked really quickly, so have a neat clean little hole. But seepage still appears daily. I would think twice before ever having one fitted.....too late in my case, as I am now a frequent patient at our hospital. lots of heavy bleeding, blood clots similar to liver then lots of little talpoles. And again I have just returned from another 5 days in hospital where they have given me blood and several washouts. After all this the consultants/doctors do not know the cause. Next week I go in once again to have a cystoscopy the 4th time, but I'm not holding my breath for them to find the cause. All I know is I wish that I had not had it fitted, but had no other choice as unable to self catherise