hi, I'm a 24 year old male with a long history of acne. I have had a hard bump about the size of the top of a pencil eraser on the top of my pubic hair area for about 7 weeks now. When i first popped it alot of puss came out and i was worried i had herpes. I have no bumps or anything on my penis or testicles, it does not hurt when i urinate and no other bumps have occured. The bump i have now does not hurt at all, just every once in awhile fills with smelly puss and has a hard time healing. I noticed the bump a day after having rough sex while wearing a condom. A few days before sex i did not shave my pubic region but did trim my pubic hair. What could this be?

Health Advisor
It could easily be an ingrown hair. When they get inflamed and infected (by bacteria), they may need a long time to heal. I also have problems with pimples and ingrown hairs in that area. Sometimes it takes a few months for them to go away because I constantly pick them, and although I manage to get some puss out, I hardly ever manage to reach the hair. It comes out on its own after a lot of time.
If it were an ordinary pimple or a boil, it would probably go away in 14 days but if you have picked it and picked, then…..
I am sure it is not herpes, because herpes bumps don’t contain puss, they may ooze clear liquid or blood, they may be itchy, and the whole area can get really painful.
Everybody says to apply warm compresses on the bump to try to get the puss on surface and then squeeze it out. I have never done this but I did apply antibacterial ointment that seemed to work sometimes.