Hi there. So my sister has some problems in her life lately. She was abandoned by her husband, she was hit by the car three days ago and since that day she is in the hospital. The main problem is because she already has problems with her heart and now, that crash seems to get this situation worse than before. Doctor called me today and he told me that they will use balloon catheter in her case, because that is necessary, he told us. Now, I am really curious and I want to know in which heart conditions doctor use and can use balloon catheter? Thank you. 

Good day there Big Z.

I remember that my doctor was telling me about this when I have heard that some of the patients in the waiting room needs to have this balloon catheter. I believe that the next category needs to have it: patients who have heart diseases, such as coronary artery disease, disease of the aorta or even the heart valve disease. Also, patients who can't have heart muscle function can have balloon catheter. Do you even know which disease your sister is diagnosed with ? That would help us a lot. I hope that you know...

Hey guys,

A balloon catheter is a type of "soft" catheter with an inflatable "balloon" at its tip which is used during a catheterization procedure to enlarge a narrow opening or passage within the body. The deflated balloon catheter is positioned, then inflated to perform the necessary procedure, and deflated again in order to be removed.

Some common uses include:

• angioplasty or balloon septostomy, via cardiac catheterization (heart cath)
  • tuboplasty via uterine catheterization
  • pyeloplasty using a detachable inflatable balloon stent positioned via a cystocopic transvesicular approach.

This is basically mostly used for widening the narrowed blood vessels, that is its main use.

Well, if you ask me, this procedure is only used for widening the narrowed blood vessels, like Stradivarius said, with the exception that this is not its main use, it is its only use.

A lot of heart conditions can cause this to happen. When this happens, when vessels become clogged enough, a person is very prone to having a heart attack or a stroke and that's when balloon catheter comes in. It is mostly used in the procedure called the angioplasty. You have a doctor insert a small balloon into the narrowed vessel which is then inflated to widen that vessel.

Hi Big Z,

They are right, this is used for widening the narrowed blood vessels, and the causes for this can be numerous, it doesn't even have to be a heart disease or disorder, but it is most likely to be the cause of clogged blood vessels.

Angioplasty is one of three procedures which use balloon catheter, like Stradivarius explained above, but it is definitely the most common one used. The good thing about this is that it is quite a simple procedure which carries very small risks with itself, which are not dangerous at all. It is a safe and very useful procedure.

Hi everyone,

Angioplasty is commonly performed as a minimally-invasive (percutaneous) procedure, where a stent (small mesh tube) is inserted into the blood vessel to keep it open. A possible alternative to heart surgery, it has consistently been shown to reduce symptoms due to coronary artery disease and reduce cardiac ischemia. These are the two most common conditions that it is used for. 

Like others said, it is only used for widening the arteries, it doesn't have any other use. They are also right about it not being dangerous, it is very simple and carries only a risk or two with it.

Hi there. Here is what I know about this. Well, that balloon catheters can ablate larger areas of tissue than traditional, single tip catheters, which require point-by-point ablation. Balloon catheters are usually used to perform pulmonary vein isolation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. They are not used in more advanced ablation techniques and generally are not used to treat persistent and longstanding persistent afib. So basically I now do believe that you do know who can use it and in which heart conditions. After doctor insert the balloon catheter, the electrophysiologist inflates the balloon and then delivers cryo, laser, or radiofrequency energy. With balloon catheters, doctors don't need expensive real-time mapping systems.

Good day folks. My cousin had this procedure a couple of years ago. He explained to me that catheters area are actually generally necessary when a patient is unable to empty their bladder. If the bladder isn’t emptied, urine can build up and that leads to the pressure in kidneys. The pressure can result in kidney failure, which can be dangerous and may result in permanent damage to the kidneys. A tiny balloon at the end of the catheter is inflated to prevent the tube from sliding out of the body. The balloon can then deflate when the catheter needs to be removed. I believe that this is it.