I came across this while looking for any solution for removing warts, but it seems that these silver nitrate sticks that are usually used for cleaning wounds, can be used to completely remove warts, too. From what I've read, all I need to do is to apply the top of the stick on the wart and it will sort of burn off the wart. It's supposed to hurt like hell, but I guess I'm gonna manage it if it means my warts will be gone.

I know I can get them in the pharmacy and if I need to I can ask my aunt to help me (she was a nurse) if that is really necessary, but do I need anything else like disinfectant or something? Will it really hurt that much?

If anyone has used silver nitrate at home for wart removal, any tips are welcome.

Hello SAmX,

Silver nitrate is a great non-prescription wart remover that comes in pencil form.  It literally burns off the wart as it removes the hard and rought skin layers of the wart tissue.  It's good for plantar warts and common warts.  The only thing you want to be careful about is whether or not your might be allergic to it. Silver nitrate can be applied over and over again on a dialy basis until the wart is gone.  Make sure to follow the instructions to a Tee.  Also note that the pencil tip should be wettened by water and then applied to the wart for anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes.  Then you need to file the wart and then apply a dressing.  Keep during this everyday until the wart is gone.  Do not share your silver nitrate stick with anyone.  Warts are a viral infection and yours may have mutated and could cause infection to someone else.  Also, keep in mind that even though it appears that you have removed the wart, it is possible that it may come back sometime later. 

I just read your poorest from over a year ago... it doesn't hurt. However, you have to be careful when applying because it reasons clear until a minute later turns black. But it will go away after a couple of days.