My kid has been diagnosed with urticarial vasculitis. It is a form of inflammation of blood vessels’ wall. I would like to know about the options for the treatment. Is this something dangerous? What can we expect? I hope someone will be able to reply to my post. Thanks in advance.

I was diagnosed with urticaria vasculitis when I was 9 years old (almost 30 years ago). I was treated at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. The main treatment that worked for me was a combination of predisone and atarax. I had almost constant outbreaks until I went through puberty. I have had occasional outbreaks since then but those don't last long and typically go away with using Benadryl and rest. These tend to coincide with my menstrual cycle. I only had to go back on the predisone and atarax twice for a short time and those were both in my early 20s. My outbreaks tend to start around the mouth and nose so I have to be careful so that I can still breath. When I was younger they were much worse. A few things that I have noticed over the years are that I need to watch my water source and also filter the water as mineral levels can sometimes trigger the outbreaks. I also have found that different geography does affect the outbreaks as well, some locations if I stay for more than a day I will have an outbreak. I have not been able to find any supporting documentation for those but it happens consistently enough for me to assume that there is a connection. On the holistic aspect, I will also use raw asparagus juice during the outbreak and that most of the time helps shorten the outbreak period.

There were several other kids that were being treated for it as well at Mayo Clinic by Dr. Sachs when I was being treated but I don't know if their outbreaks decreased as they got older.

So far I have had 2 children and they do not have any signs of the urticaria vasculitis and it did not cause any complications in the pregnancies.

On the emotional level, make sure that your child knows how much you love him/her and take full advantage of any just being a kid time.

Wishing you and your family the best of luck and health.

I was diagnosed with Urticarial Vasculitis 18 months ago. Dr. Gerald Gleich at the University of Utah prescribed Xolair. It is an injection that is approved for the treatment of Acute Asthma. I take 1 shot every 6 weeks and I went from daily outbreaks to none with the first injection. This has been a miracle drug for me, eliminating the hives and swelling, reducing my migraines, and helping my breathing. I also highly recommend watching the movie “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”. It documents 2 men who have the condition.