My dog has got necrotizing vasculitis. Can you help me with some advice about what to do now? My vet says that he isn't in pain and has offered some (expensive) drugs to help treat the necrotizing vasculitis. But I am not sure that this is the right way to go. Have any of you come across necrotizing vasculitis and what is the usual treatment?

hey yank

im confused i think what you are trying to say is nectotizing facciitis. is it where the skin and tissue are being eatin away by a bacterial infection?

If so the treatment invoulves surgery to debride the dead and infected tissue in combination with antibiotics.
does this sound like what your dog has
let me know and i can help more

thanks ;-)

The original poster is correct; there is a condition in dogs known as necrotizing vasculitis. If you have not done so already, I would strongly recommend that you take your dog to see a board certified veterinary dermatologist as soon as possible. Follow this link on the American College of Veterinary Dermatology website to find a board certified Dermatologist in your area. Good luck to you both.

Our 10 year old Corgi-Doxie mix was diagnosed with vasculitis in Feb. 2011 after several biopsy samples were taken from her paws and face.  First step was antibiotics along with TriTop Steroid ointment which she didn't tolerate.  Next step was Cipro along with Trental three times per day and hydrocortisone cream.  The disease ebbs and flows - sores clear up then new ones pop up in other areas.  We've now come full circle and sores are beginning on her paw pads.  Dermatology Specialist is now going aggressive adding Cipro (after a 2 month absence), Tetracycline, Trental and Niacinamide.  Last resort if this doesn't work will be steroids.  Including Benadryl twice per day for breathing issues she takes 80 some pills per week. 

One of my boxers had necrotizing vasculitis. Diagnosed after we surgically removed what appeared to be a mass that developed at her rabies vaccination site. The board certified dermatologist then treated her with a course of broad spectrum antibiotics for several weeks, steroids to suppress her immune system (she started on a very high dose that was very slowly tapered off while avoiding any vaccines that might stimulate her immune system and cause relapse) and with pentoxifylline ER three times daily (basically this drug helps the red blood cells become deformed slightly so they fit through the narrowed and dying blood vessels, thus continuing blood supply and reducing the risk of the disease spreading more). That boxer was diagnosed in 2010 at age 7 and underwent 6 months of treatment and had no relapses. She has not been vaccinated since and just turned 14. I had another rescue boxer diagnosed with just vasculitis who was treated the same way. She was 4 when diagnosed. She has relapsed every time she has been vaccinated with any vaccine and we recently decided to stop her vaccines. The steroids did cause elevated liver values, We supplemented with denamarin for liver support.