Hi, I am having great problems with my doctor. I came to him because I had runny nose, I was sneezing all of the time and my eyes were itching. He told me that I have allergy, but the tests couldn't confirm this diagnose. While this was happening I developed serious cough and high fever. Now my doctor says that I might be having an autoimmune vasculitis. I have no idea how he came up with that. He did some blood tests, but to confirm his diagnosis he will have to do a biopsy. I am not sure about this. I mean if he was wrong the first time, maybe he is wrong about this autoimmune vasculitis as well. Do you have some advice that would help me decide about my next step?

Hi, I can understand that you are having doubts about your doctor's competence, but I think that you can trust him. Allergic reactions are indeed the first signs of a type of autoimmune vasculitis called Churg-Strauss syndrome. Because this condition is very rare, I am sure that your doctor made an honest mistake by thinking that you were really having an allergic reaction. When the other symptoms occurred, he had something to base his diagnosis on. The blood tests that he did probably showed an increased number of autoantibodies that are destroying your blood vessels. Autoimmune vasculitis is a very serious condition and I would advise you to have this biopsy test in order to be sure what course of treatment is the best for your condition. This illness could even be life threatening if it is not treated. So I would advice you to follow your doctor's orders if you want your life to be as normal as possible.