From time to time, I get these terrible headaches that make me feel sick at the same time. I have had them since I was a teenager. My mother says she gets these headaches too, and that they are migraines. Is it true that nausea and headache is what is called a migraine? And what are the causes of nausea and headache?

Yes, migraines often cause nausea, and can be very limiting to the patient for the duration of the migraine. The word migraine in fact means "half of the skull", which is quite accurate - migraine mostly effect the upper side of a patient's skull. Unfortunately, despite lots of research being conducted, the cause of migraines is still unknown. However, there are things that you can do to lessen the chance of a new migraine attack, such as eliminating triggering foods (caffeine is a common offender) and avoiding situations that are too stressful. Good luck!

Thank you for your answer. I had no idea that migraine meant "half of the skull". In what language? It's all very well to say that you can avoid stressful situations to prevent migraines from happening, but how do you apply such a philosophy in the real world? What makes it even worse is that over the counter medications do not really work for my headaches. If you know so much about the subject, please tell me how I can make these terrible headaches stop!