Hi, I’m suffering from panic attacks, and I usually can’t control them. I experienced many embarrassing situations due to this disorder, and I decided to change the drug because it’s obviously not working. I decided to try valium. Any comments on this drug?

Hi, valium is working well for me, and I can say that my panic attacks have changed. I still have them, but not as often as before. The following symptoms are also reduced. For example, I still sweat, but I don’t have a rapid heart rhythm and dizziness as before. It’s all because of valium, I know it. Maybe it doesn’t seam that successful because I still have some symptoms, but believe me, it’s more than any other drug has done for me. I will continue using it with hope that it will cure my panic attack completely one day. No wonder that valium is one of the most prescribed drugs for anxiety and panic attacks. It is primarily used for short-term relief of anxiety, but I don’t need more than that anyway, because I have short seizures. If you don't want to mess with drugs, I suggest you try relaxation techniques for anxiety. They have a very high success rate on the long run.

I'm 18 years old and I am suffering for what I think are panic attacks and I'm scared because I don't know what do about it. My mother also suffered from them too. I've tried to the hole natural treatment thing and it doesn't work. I've tried valium from a friend and it actually helped but I don't want to have to rely on a drug for the rest of my life and or be addicted. I also haven't been to see a Dr. and I don't feel comfortable talking to a stranger ( a counselor) about my person problems. I do not think that my Dr. will just want to prescribe Valium to and 18 year old. ANY suggestion?? please??

Dear Guest,

Firstly, let me start by saying panic attacks are very common. People all ages get them and in different forms. Of course medicine will help your panic attacks but let me give you advice on the truth. First of all, it may be helpful to talk to someone about what is going on in your life which is giving your body enough stress to experience a panic attack. However, the key to overcoming panic attacks is to deal with them. I know this is difficult, but the truth is you have nothing to worry about. There is a difference between reality and what you fear is going to happen to you. For example, you are NOT having a heart attack, you are NOT going to go crazy, and you most likely will NOT pass out. When you have a panic attack, try to convince yourself it is simply a panic attack that WILL pass. Most panic attack sufferers are worried about what they THINK will happen as oppossed to what WILL happen. Always stay positive, and remember, while panic attacks are hard to deal with, they can never cause your body and harm, it is a simple way of your body releasing stress. The sooner you realize exactly what the panic attack is, you wil realize there is nothing to worry about, its just something from time to time you will have to get through. Its called the fight or flight. Just remember also you are always in control, hoep this helps, let me know if I can helo further. =)

If you do not consult your doctor, you may lead yourself into an abyss of guesswork. Always work with your doctor instead of going it alone.

Step 2:
Try and get into a basic light exercise program (2 or even 3 sessions per week) which could be Yoga or non contact martial arts depending on your personal preference. The core exercise discipline plus the focus and meditation can often build your ability to better withstand attacks. Take a few months and work into it. Non drowsy too!

I CAN ONLY TELL YOU ONE THING I HAD THEM FOR YEARS AND THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS, I EVEN WENT IN FOR AN MRI......FINNALY THEY GAVE ME ZOLOFT AND LET ME TELL YOU THEY WERE GONE........I STOPPED TAKING IT AFTER A YEAR WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS JUST BECAUSE I DIDNT WANT TO SAY I WAS ON AN ANTI DEPRESENT WHEN I WASNT DEPRESSED I HAVE BEEN OFF IT FOR 2 AND A HALF YEARS AND IM GETTING THEM AGAIN SO OFF TO ZOLOFT I GO.....THERE IS NO CURE BUT IF YOU WANT THEN GONE MEDICATE WITH ZOLOFT. I TRIED 10 DIFFERENT ONES ZOLOFT IS EASY TO TAKE AND WORKS................TRUST ME I THOUGHT I WAS DYING.............

Right now my Dr has me on Paxil and xanax and while they make them a little more tolerable(but still a pain) neither one is working to its full advantage Im not sure why maybe its because my mom and dad did drugs when my mom was pregnant or maybe im just to stressed, either way I thought I could handle it on my own now Im on a mission to feel whole again! PS the Paxil makes me feel empty like im have no feelings, untill an attack happens

I take valuim for Panic attacks as well. They do two things for me. First if I'm having an attack they help them end quickly and secondly they help calm me so that I don't have an attack in the first place. My attacks are relegated to flying (thank god) but it took me a long time to figure that out. It's important to understand what sparks your attacks so you can understand the pyschology behind it. I thought I had Panic disorder for years and it turned out to be a phobia. Took SSRIs forever and it was Cognative behaviour therapy that I needed. I still have a ton of anticipatory anxiety and panic a week before a flight but most other times I'm good. I guess my point is don't be afriad of taking meds even for a long period of time but know that they answer to escaping this terrible effliction is somewhere inside you. Keep looking and keep having faith.

Thank you your words are so comforting although after a year of this post. many thanks

I am going through one right now and I thank you very much for your nice comment. I feel horrible, scared of terrible things happening and that my work will not go well. I am very scared but I know I will be OK. Thank you. I'm 62 years old and I don't know why this happened to me.

Drugs are serious business and not to be taken outside of medical necessity. Anxiety is absolutely NOT medical necessity. Unless it is under a situation where a physical procedure like dental work is occurring in which case, a sedative will help regulate your blood pressure while the dentist does his thing. Outside of that, pills have no place anywhere near anxiety sufferers.

Third, anxiety is a psychological condition. People turn to drugs because they are either confused about what they truly going through and so blindly listen to a doctor or they are aware of what is going on but are too lazy to investigate and fix the underlying issue(s).

Here is the reality...
There are neural synapses in your brain. They have short term and long term relationships with one another depending on the person and their unique experiences.

These synapses communicate via electrical impulses and these impulses form your neural net. Now, the long term related synapses are where you can run into trouble. Before I explain why, I will explain what is happening in your brain..

I'll give you an example.. When a person has a self deprecating personality, they feel most comfortable being down on themselves since being in this state takes the least amount of effort. They don't like being this way but they lack the self confidence to change it so they wallow in self pity.

Now, in order to give the body what it wants, the neural synapse in that region of the brain, fire electrical impulses to the part of your brain that signals a request for the release of a specific peptide. In this instance it would be the protein that triggers depression. The Hypothalamus gland is what produces these peptides.

So, what ends up happening is that over time, if you feel a certain way on a regular basis, this synapse forms a long term relationship with the synapse which is responsible for sending out the command for release of the peptide which causes the emotion of depression.

When a synapse forms a long term relationship, it basically means the two synapses have moved within super close proximity to one another and are on somewhat of a hair trigger. They can be set off very easily even if nothing is happening to you. The trigger is very sensitive, even a simple thought (conscious or sub-conscious) can place you into a state or panic.

The mind is a very powerful thing and we are, in fact, reality producing machines. We create our own reality every single day. If you do not control that reality and face it, it will make you it's b***h if you aren't careful. In our consciousness, we are always the observer, we need to respect that and guide our ship a.k.a. the meat sac we are trapped in since birth or suffer the consequences of inaction.

Sure, a pill can mask your symptoms but until you actually face it and deal with it, it will never go away because forming long term relationships between synapses takes year and years. Usually 5-15 years. It takes the same amount of time to undo it. A pill will not sever that connection. It will just mask the symptoms and make you forget and/or give you side effects that will compound your problem.

One of the users above has the right idea when he mentioned that you will be ok. This is true. The core fact about anxiety is that it is not going to kill you. Your body is programmed for self preservation. You can panic all your want but it won't stop you from breathing. Anyone who has trouble breathing is allowing themselves to enter a frenzied state but in all reality, if the same person would clear their mind of ALL thoughts, focus on nothing but breathing in and out, 3 seconds each way. Water also does wonders to help bring you back down to reality. Big sips, not freezing, not warm, just a bit chilled is perfect. Once you find a rhythm, then start reminding yourself how stupid the thing you are experiencing is.

As someone who suffered and on occasion, still suffers from the rare bit of anxiety, I can tell you that you are not gonna die form a panic attack and if you think it will physically harm you, you are seriously confused about your body and anxiety. In my case, the synapses formed a panic relationship instantly because I got dehydrated once summer and was hospitalized. When your body goes through drama or shock like hospitalization or psychological drama like abuse, sickness or death of a loved one to name a few. Those things can from long synaptic relationships in an instant. Unfortunately, undoing the damage requires years of time, no shortcuts here. It does get better though as your grow more in control of your own mind and it can be a very rewarding and liberating experience.

Whenever I have a severe, true panic attack, not just anxiety. Valium works amazingly. I go from complete breakdown to exhausted from the attack but here and functional. No hung over feeling or drowsy. If I take it from being anxious it does nothing to help me. It has to be a full on panic attack. It has saved me many of times.

Well I had a panic attack this morning and did pass out . Woke up down the hall on the floor with no memory of it !

In severe cases like mine just telling yourself your OK does nothing. I absolutely know that I'm fine and it's all in my head but it still does not stop or help me one bit. I am the one who gets panic attacks that will last several hours straight. I wake up with them and they usually last damn near all day. I've seen a physiatrist, tried several medications and still have yet to find something that works. I just don't think it's the best advice to tell someone to deal with it and try to talk yourself out of it because I promise we all try that. It is the absolute hardest thing to live with

Thank you for the advice. I woke up this morning arm tingling I felt a since ofor doom. I got chills so bad shaking very hard. Hard to breath very cold and scared I thought it was a heart attack. I'm 41 years old so here lately I have been thinking about all the what ifs. Thank u