Okay I'm a 15 year old girl and I'm super awkward around people, I can't talk to strangers at all. I have no clue how to talk to a boy nevermind have a boyfriend. every teat on google says I do and my mom wont take me to the Dr. 'cause she says I don't need it I'm just shy. But I think it could be more.

i use to be like that when i was around 15-16 yrs of age, there a couple of treatment you can try some are group therapies that help you develop your communication skills around people, help you socialize... I found it very helpful... You should give it a try (:

Hi ShiLikre,

You're not alone- a lot of people at your age are shy and suffer with a degree of social anxiety. I heard recently that it's common for teenage girls get anxious about eating in front of boys and I recall that I used to feel like that up until my mid 20's! Now I don't care, if I'm hungry, I eat- I don't care whose around! lol

Whether you think you are suffering with major social anxiety or it's simply a case of 'shyness', it is something that you can work on without having to go down the route of seeing a doctor. It can certainly help to see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis, but what you've described sounds very typical of a shy teenage girl, who has a good dose of social anxiety thrown in!

If you can, see a school counsellor- they maybe able to suggest some social groups for you to join that can help with confidence and encourage you to develop on your lack of social skills. Perhaps joining in some kind of music club or after-school gym or athletic class. The only way to beat shyness or overcome social anxiety is to throw yourself in to what you fear the most. Social situations can be like ripping off a plaster- you think it's going to hurt, but it's never as painful as you imagine & the painful bit only lasts seconds. The anticipation of social contact is usually worse than the actual event.  

You haven't mentioned depression- just the social anxiety, so I haven't advised on anything to do with that. But if you are depressed over this or having negative thoughts about yourself (this often comes with social anxiety & a lack of confidence), please, please tell your mum & bug her to see a doctor. You can start to deal with the anxiety yourself, but depression is whole new ball game.

I hope you find some relief from your social anxiety soon. I can completely sympathise- I'm not very good with social contact myself. At one point in my life, I wouldn't even get on a bus! But social anxiety can be overcome. I can handle most situations now- even to the extent of speaking to audiences....in fact, that's easier than one-on-one contact sometimes! lol

Good luck

V

How do you feel in social situations? If you feel normal and comfortable around groups and people but can't seem to get any words out or always say awkward things then you may just be shy. If you feel scared and uncomfortable and feel like everyone will judge you, then you obsess about things you said and are now embarrassed about, it may be social anxiety.

I had social anxiety and in high school and I automatically assumed no one liked me, when no one was being mean to me or showed any indication that they didn't like me. I would obsess with the littlest things I said in social situations and feel like they were the dumbest things to say and wished I never said them. When I say obsess, I mean it would consume my thoughts for days and days over a minor thing. Sometimes in a social setting, I would get panic attacks where I would get really scared, my whole body would feel like pins and needles and I would feel disconnected with my body.

Something that could help to distinguish could be to use a daily journal