Hi, my daughter has been diagnosed with epilepsy ten months ago. Since then our family has been going through hell. The doctor has tried various treatment combination, but with little success. Now he would like to try Vigabatrin. He says that it will help her for sure. I dont know what to think any more. Should I hope that Vigabatrin will help my daughter return to normal life?

Hi, I am very sorry to hear about your daughter. I can understand what she and your family are going through, especially since you havent still found a good therapy to help her deal with her epilepsy. Vigabatrin is in clinical studies shown no greater efficiency than the hormonal therapy that your daughter has probably already tried. However, since this kind of therapy didnt help her, Vigabatrin is a good choice. This drug blocks the process of deterioration of GABA. GABA is a very important inhibiting neurotransmitter. In epilepsy, the level of this neurotransmitter is lower which results in seizures. Vigabatrin is a preventive drug that helps the levels of GABA to remain normal, preventing seizures. It may help your daughter, but I cannot say that it will happen for certain. The thing about epilepsy is that there are many drugs used in its treatment and doctors do not have some kind of defined therapy that gives results in all patients. That is why you should be patient and have a faith that soon enough the doctor will find the right therapy for your daughter. I would advise you to talk to a professional counselor, because your family is having such a hard time dealing with this situation.