My daughter is 25 and recently she gave birth to a baby. We were all shocked when we saw that the baby was hydrocephalus, that it had water in brain. Since I don’t know much about this condition, I would appreciate if someone would give me more information. What is the most important thing that we need to know about this condition?

Sorry to hear about your daughters baby. I hope that I will help in some way by giving the information you want. Hydrocephalus is an accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the ventricles of the brain. This leads to their enlargement and swelling. Cerebrospinal fluid is formed in a region of the brain known as the choroid plexus and it usually circulates through channels of the brain known as ventricles. Also, it flows around the outside of the brain and through the spinal canal. The volume of fluid in the brain becomes higher than normal when the circulation or absorption of this fluid is blocked. This also happens when excessive fluid is produced. This accumulation of fluid puts pressure on the brain. It forces brain against the skull and this leads to damaging or destroying the tissues. Symptoms of hydrocephalus vary depending on the cause of the obstruction to cerebrospinal fluid circulation and on the extent of damage to brain tissue caused by the swelling.

hi, i am very sorry to hear about the baby. i would like to inforn you that my son also had it but he wasnt diagnosed until he was 6 mths old. please if by some chance the baby starts having seizures do to this have them give him VIGABATRIN. its a little expensive and you have to get it from cananda, but it was a miracle drug for my son, he suffered from seizures for 1 year and was on 20 meds and then the doctor gave him vigabatrin and no more seizures. please keep that in mind and let me know your babies name so i can pray for him or her. thanks..

has your son had any reactions from the drug they gave him.

my response is too late.haha
How's your child right now?
Is she undergoing any treatment
like brain shunts?

My son was born in 1989 with hyrocephalus (water on the brain) which was discovered at his first checkup. We were lucky and sought a nersurgeon at Childrens Hospital in Columbus Ohio, Dr Kosnik. He frist tryed medication to reduce the fluid pressure which only resulted in pressure building in another part of my sons brain. The Doctor then recommended a shunt be placed in my sons brain on or around Josh's 6 month birthday. I did opt for the surgery with reservations.... let me tell you all.... My son is now 21 and has an IQ off the charts. Dont give up hope seak medical treatment as soon as possible. God be with you all you have to face this medical condition. 1 in 500 babys are born with hyrocephalus.

can i ask? what if the baby is diagnosed that she has water in the brain but she still in the womb of her mother..is there any treatment even if she still in the womb of her mother.? thank you..i will apreciate so much your answer.

Hello Ashli,

My name is Steve, first of all my regards to your daughter. Please do not think that life is going to be a struggle.

I was born in Portsmouth in 1965 with Hydrocephalus, I was in hospital for a long time, had a lot of operations. Also i had a metal plate placed into my head to help strengthen my skull for 4 years. I also had i rubber pipe inside my head from the higher part of the forehead to the right hand side of my neck, this was helping the water drain out. Four years my mother took me back to hospital to have my metal plate removed. I must admit i am pretty well scared on my skull. But considering it was the 60's i was very pleased with the hospitals. I think about it now and think "how did i live there"

My life now is as good as normal, I am registered disabled, but i work and very happy.

So please, I hope i have raised confidence for the new grandma, mother and father

My brother was also 2 months old when he was diagnosed. He had surgery to have shunts put in due to epilepsy. This was in 1961. He is doing fine but still takes medicine for seizure control.

my brother died from water on the brain and i have no idea what it is or how it can kill someone. can someone help plz?

My nepew is 2 month old and he undergo shunt operation on 06/03/13. Is it that we had to go for operation again or what?

hey

my name is ali. Allah gifted me a baby boy on 08 april, 2013. Doctor daignose 2 half month befor his birth regarding that problem water in his brain. they told me for abortation but i was not agree with him. now my baby is 26 days old. Nero surgon advaise me for operation(Shtund). I hold him. any one can help me or advaise me anyotherway/ medicen regarding this issue.

I will be thankful to you.

I did not disagree with this post I just wanted to see why the other person disagreed and then I could not UNDO my "thumbs down".....should be set up differently.

Hello.   I am a 53 male born with water on the brain,  I thank god that back in 1961 there was a doctor that heard that a new born was born and had a problem and knew what to do.  I grew up very protective by my parents. but have a good life.

I was born in 1961, in Balitmore Md, At the time of my birthday , Thank god there was a doctor in the hospital knew what to do, Iam 55 year old now.