Hello all.

I was reading some books about cats lately. Those are mostly

1. books that I received as birthday gifts and never got the chance to read them or

2. books that I borrowed years ago from friends and completely forgot to give them back.

Anyway I was reading about all sorts of diseases in cats and I’ve found out a lot of things I didn’t know before.

For example, did you know that cats can also have epilepsy? I have three cats and I had no idea that this can happen to cats too. Does anyone know what causes feline epilepsy?

Hello. Here we go. Most feline epilepsy (seizures in cats) are the results of some damage to the brain. Cat can recover from this issue and often it has no other symptoms. Some seizures in cats can happen very spontaneously, without some cause. These are forms of epilepsy. Other causes that can cause epilepsy in cats are kidney disease, liver disease, hypoglycemia, meningitis, tumors and some other infections. When your cat is showing some symptoms that are not usually for her that can be a sign that she is having some health issues. Maybe epilepsy. When you see that your cat is disoriented that can be a sign. Of course sometimes there are no some visible symptoms. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent this disease.

Hey everyone.

I hope you are doing fine :)

Look, epilepsy is the most common cause of seizures in cats. It is a disorder.

Dog Whisperer already told you some causes and I will do this as well ( I am sorry if I repeat something that he already wrote :))

Causes are :

• Low blood sugar,
  • Brain tumor,
  • Head trauma,
  • Heart stroke or heath attack,
  • Hyperparathyroidism,
  • Portostymtemic shunt,
  • Viral infection,
  • Bacterial infection,
  • Kidney failure,
  • Liver diseases that can build some toxins in the body,
  • Some medications that can cause side – effects,
  • Poisoning,
  • Leak of vitamin,
  • High blood pressure.

Hi there,

I don’t really think that there is a known cause for this. Like something that your cat picks up when she is playing outside or something in her food. I think that it is something in her genes, something that she is born with. I’ve heard that strokes could cause this: strokes or any other type of damage to her brain. Some infections too, but there is really nothing you can do to prevent her from getting this disease. At least, this is not something serious, I mean, it can never lead to death. If you are giving her meds regularly, this wouldn’t represent any problem to her health.

Hey there good people.

I have a cat as well and I am really scared of epilepsy because her mother had epilepsy. I don’t know can my cat have this disease or not. I don’t want to think about this right now but I did a lot of research because I am scared.

I was talking with my friends, with a lot of them actually. One of my friends told me that vet told her that main cause of epilepsy in her cat is some kind of infection. Unfortunately she couldn’t do anything to stop this. There are so many causes but some of them are out of our comprehension.

Hey there everyone.

I hope you are doing fine.

First, it is very important to understand the difference between epilepsy and seizures. Seizures are symptoms of disease. Causes of seizures include infections, tumors, toxic chemicals and epilepsy.

The causes of epilepsy are primary epilepsy and secondary epilepsy. Primary epilepsy implies that your cat is having episodes of seizure activity that are associated with primary brain disorder. It is very difficult to notice that your cat has primary epilepsy. It is really difficult.

Secondary epilepsy suggests that the episodes of seizure activity are associated with a disorder such as inflammatory disease, trauma or even cancer.

Hi there,

Avatar, I believe that there are small chances that your cat could get epilepsy. When it comes to diseases which are past on by the genes, it usually affects the second next cat (or a person) in the family tree. So, there are bigger chances that your cat’s kittens will have epilepsy than your cat herself.

I’ll agree that infection can cause epilepsy, but I’ll add that it happens rarely. Strokes are the most responsible thing for this. They do permanent damage to the brain which can never be repaired. So, it goes genes, then strokes, and then infections; sorted from the more common causes to the rarer ones.

Hey everyone,

I’ll agree on what Mima said about your cat having epilepsy, Avatar. I think he/she has a point there.

I’ve also heard that strokes are the main cause, too. They cause irreparable damage to the brain and that’s the thing that causes these strokes to happen. Since this can’t be fixed, I don’t know how these meds that people use help, but they do.

Epilepsy is past on by the genes, in the same way like with people.

Infections cause it too, but a bit more often than Mima said.

Since it’s something that is directly connected to the brain, I doubt that we will have a cure for this anytime soon.