Hi there,

I’m nervous and I need your help. My cat is two years old now and the person I bought my cat from called me a few days ago and told me that the mother of my cat had epilepsy. He said that he is sorry, that he had just found this out, and that I need to know this because epilepsy can be passed on by the genes.

I’m not too scared actually. Whatever happens, my cat and I will deal with it the best we can, but I just don’t know much about epilepsy. So I’m here to ask you, what are the most common signs of cat epilepsy?

Hey there,

First of all, I don’t think that your cat is going to have trouble with epilepsy. She might, but when it is passed on by the genes, usually every second generation is getting epilepsy, your cat should be fine.

Epilepsy is usually just called Seizures. So, I know of no other symptoms but these seizures. They might not show in the beginning phase, but again, they might show. You never really know. It’s really hard and it takes a lot of time to diagnose epilepsy without these seizures occurring, because, again, seizures are the only symptom. If there are no seizures, your cat probably doesn’t have epilepsy.

Hey guys,

I don’t think that there are any other symptoms but seizures, really. At least none of them are visible to you.

I talked to a vet once about this issue and he told me that it is not so easy to diagnose a cat with epilepsy. There are a lot of tests to be done, the cat needs to stay in the vet’s ordination in order for her condition to be monitored. Even if she has seizures, it doesn’t necessarily mean that she has epilepsy, since seizures are a symptom of other diseases, as well.

You can never heal epilepsy, but you can treat it with medications in order for your cat to get these seizures less often.

Hey everyone,

I like your attitude about this, Dalmatian lover. Just remember that epilepsy is not so scary and is not deadly: although you cannot heal it, you can follow the vet’s instructions for treating it and your cat should be able to lead a normal life.

I don’t think that there any other signs of epilepsy but seizures themselves, either. Even if she starts getting seizures, it doesn’t mean that she has epilepsy. The best thing you can do is to take her to the vet with all her medical history information. The vet will know what to do.

Forgot to mention, I really doubt that your cat has epilepsy. Wish you best of luck.

Hello everyone.

It is really bad to deal with but trust me – with good treatment your cat can live nice and happy life. You should no doubt it.

I know that is a little hard to get used on this kind of life, but it is OK.

When this happens your cat may be frightened or dazed. Maybe she will hide. In some cases she will seek for your attention more than usually.

If your cat is urinating too much, if she became stiff, grumpy or disoriented this is also an alarm to react.  

But according to your post I think that your cat doesn’t have epilepsy. If you still doubt, you should visit the vet and let him do some analyses.

This definitely is not an epilepsy in your cat. So there is no reason to be panic but it is nice that you react on every change in your cat’s behavior.

Symptoms that your cat can show in case that she has epilepsy are:

• She is dazed,
  • She is a little bit disoriented, and that is really easily to notice,
  • She is drooling around,
  • She is chewing something that doesn’t exist,
  • Vocalizing.

Usually cats are disoriented for a few minutes and that stops really quickly. They can be in this stage for minute or two and after this they can be totally normal.  

Hey everyone. I understand that you are scared about this and I would be scared as well. The reason is because my cat has epilepsy. It is really weird because she didn’t show any signs or symptoms that she is being sick.  She was just a little bit sleepy and she was urinating more than usually.

I didn’t pay much attention on it. I was thinking that she is sick a little bit and that I can heal it alone.

Very soon she started to be grumpy and she wanted all my attention.

I could see that something is going on with her so I visited to vet. After a lot of testes she was diagnosed with epilepsy.

I am telling this because it is not impossible that your cat is having epilepsy. That is why you need to do some tests. Soon!

Hello there. My cat is diagnosed with epilepsy. I believe that she is just one in the row with this diagnose. I am used on it and I take a really good care of her. I will tell you what I know from my experience.
At the first stage my cat was very tired. It was surprising because she is hyperactive and she is jumping around the house all the time. Of course, it was not weird in the first couple of days but later it was. She wasn’t changing her behavior in seven days.
Later I saw that she “has something in her mouth” all the time. But guess what? There was nothing.
One day I notice something weird – she hits the wall. Not once, but twice. That was the sign that something is wrong.
I went to see the vet and that is how I found out that she has epilepsy.