Hi, my sister has been diagnosed with epilepsy when she was twelve. She is now twenty three years old. In the beginning she had severe seizures frequently. As the time passed and with the help of medicines the number of seizures is reduced. But now there is another problem. Her doctor has told her that she might be suffering from psychotic epileptic disorder. I haven't noticed any change in her behavior that would suggest that she is psychotic. What are the symptoms of psychotic epileptic disorder?

Hi, unfortunately there are many scientific studies that show the connection between epilepsy and psychotic disorders. In fact a patient who suffers from epilepsy has greater chances of developing some kind of psychotic disorder than a person who is not diagnosed with epilepsy. However, the symptoms of the psychotic disorders connected with epilepsy are less serious. These patients also respond better to therapy than the general population of psychotic disorder patients. The psychotic episodes in people with epilepsy are classified according to their connection with seizures. The psychotic episodes can occur during the seizure, or at any time regardless of the seizures. The symptoms of psychotic episodes associated with epilepsy are depression, delusion or strange thoughts. There is also alternative psychosis that is associated with the long use of seizure medicines. When the patient reduces the use of these medicines the psychotic episodes stop. Of course, the reduction of these drugs should not be performed without the doctor's authorization.

fetures of psychosis are:Dellusion, Halucination,Disorganized behavior,Disorganized speech,Allogia,Avoliation and destructive behaviors

Between the ages of 1-3 I had 2 grand mal seizures and had petite mal seizures all my life till I outgrew them at the age of 25. I was on many different types of medication through the years to help with the black outs. I am a very spiritual person and always have been...most people doctors would like to say that hearing voices or speaking strangely is a part of psychosis. I personally feel that the drugs do more harm then good. Medical marijuana does great with controling seizures and relaxing the mind. In my life having epilepsy opened me up to many spiritual gifts and many connections to the spiritual realm. Don't lose hope in your sister or the hope that she could be cured of her illness. I will pray for your sister ask the angels to watch over her.